We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Provincetown

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Provincetown

We're going to be camping at Dunes Campground over Memorial Day weekend and I'm wondering the best way to get around Provincetown or what parking will be like for a holiday weekend. I've looked up the shuttle, although it doesn't run on Monday (we are leaving Tuesday). We don't mind a lot of walking, but want to know my options. Thanks!

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Provincetown

Bike would be my choice.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Provincetown

Bike would be nice, but we have a 3.5 year old. Not sure how easy it would be to get around with her, bike, and backpack?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Provincetown

The walk from Dune's Edge to downtown is not bad ... I've done it. If you don't mind paying to park in one of the lots, get there before 10 or after the sunset whale watches come in around 8 and you won't have issues. Between those times, it's hit or miss. Although the lot behind "Duarte's Mall" (which is not a mall at all --- lol) and is not town-run usually has space but sometimes it's on a non-paved area.

Taxi is always an option there's a couple of different small operations there.

Edited: 12:32 pm, May 24, 2011
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Provincetown

Forgot to say .... according to google maps, the walk is 15-20 minutes depending on your exact route.

You do have a short walk along Rte 6 and then you need to cross Rte 6. However, although there is no sidewalk, the unpaved area next to the road is very wide there, and you can cross at the lights at Race Point Road.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Provincetown

forgotmypword, thanks for the info! The walk only looks like a mile from the campground, so that's not a big deal. I didn't know how it would be to walk along/across Route 6, so glad to hear it's not bad. We hike a lot, so doing a lo of walking isn't a big deal, but if the weather is looking iffy or if we have some place a little further to go, just wanted to know my options for parking. Thanks again!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,190 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Provincetown

You can get a bike rental that has an attached cart for your child and backpack.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Provincetown

I've looked around briefly and it's kind of pricey (2 bikes and a trailer is around $70 for the day). If we're doing it to take a ride for fun, then okay. But if just to get around, it's actually cheaper to just pay for parking. We have bikes, but haven't decided if we're bringing them (we had some problems on a prior trip with our carrier and we would have to see if they are compatible with a trailer).

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
221 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around Provincetown

We have biked from Shore Road before (about 3 miles out of town) and had our 2.5 year-old in the bike trailer. It is killing me because I can't think of where we locked them up! It did work for us. You can also drive and park at Pilgrim Monument but it is like $10. There is a gas station off of Shankpainter Rd...driving me nuts because I can't think of the name of the rd. but it is parallel with Commercial St...you can pay $5 and then it increases or something like that an hour...Have fun camping. We thought about camping there over 4th of July when our rental is over but I don't think I can do it with our 3 year-old! You are brave!

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around Provincetown

Thanks for the reply GinaTravel. Biking around does sound like fun. We'll probably see when we get there depending on weather and the other stuff we want to do. We've been camping with our daughter since was a baby - so pretty used to that. She gets a kick out of it (plus we save a lot on lodging!). :)

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
221 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around Provincetown

We bring our own bikes and trailer so it is cheap for us. But paying for parking isn't all that bad. If you approach Provincetown via shore road...before it becomes Commercial St...you can sometimes find parking on the street in front of houses and that is free!