We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to P-Town?

California
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to P-Town?

Hello everyone,

A group of us are coming to boston from October 13th - 20th of this year, and we wanted to do a day trip to Provincetown, and I wanted to find out the best way to get there. I've heard that the ferries don't run, is that true? and if so, what are the other options of getting to Ptown?

Thanks, jen.

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,134 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to P-Town?

The Bay State Ferry runs until Oct 18th this year.

baystatecruisecompany.com/schedule.html

The BostonHarbor Ferry makes its last run on Oct 10

baystatecruisecompany.com/schedule.html (I included the link in case others are interested)

Also the Plymouth/Brockton Buses run to P-town, but the ferry would be preferable.

Edited: 4:09 pm, July 05, 2010
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,134 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to P-Town?

OOPS .. I posted the same link twice.

Here's the link for Boston Harbor Cruises: bostonharborcruises.com/provincetown-ferry/s…

Mentioned in this post
Boston Harbor Cruises
Boston Harbor Cruises
1,387 Reviews
Boston, MA
California
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to P-Town?

Thanks for the information about Bay State Cruise Company!! Much appreciated :)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
223 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to P-Town?

If your group is reasonable enough to fit in a vehicle or two, renting a car or two will not only come out cheaper than the ferry and multiple round-trip bus fares, but also really cut down on transportation time with the bus trip constant stops & changes, and the time restrictions of the ferries.

As that's the off-season, you'll deal with little to no traffic issues. You'll be looking at a two and a half to three hour car trip, and some parts of the drive are somewhat pretty (particularly right around the bridge that gets you on-Cape, and again once you get past the Orleans rotary. The drive on Rte. 6 through Orleans, Eastham, even some of Wellfleet, is somewhat scenic. Then you can get onto Rte. 6A in Truro and get a truly amazing view of Cape Cod bay, the Provincetown Pilgram Monument, and the iconic beach-side cottages that line the bay along 6A.

Once you arrive in Provincetown, if you're not staying overnight, there should be ample parking located centrally, to allow everyone a fair view of the town before departing. Right in front of Macmillan and Fisherman's wharves is an enormous pay lot, and there are other tourist lots as well. I'm certain there's available free parking to be had, but it is often found further East or West, unless you luck out and get spots behind Town Hall (those are filled quickly...)

Mentioned in this post
Orleans
Orleans
Cape Cod, MA
Eastham
Eastham
Cape Cod, MA
Wellfleet
Wellfleet
Cape Cod, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
The Provincetown Hotel at Gabriel's
The Provincetown Hotel...
594 Reviews
Provincetown, MA
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
5. Re: How to get to P-Town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 03, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Provincetown