We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching mid-April

Which Provincetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
Level Contributor
135 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching mid-April

I notice that Dolphin Fleet start running whale watching trips a few days before I visit Provincetown (it'll probably be the 16th of April when we take a whale trip). Has anybody been on a trip that early in the season? How was the weather? Did you get to see any whales?

To be honest, I'm happy just to take an interesting boat ride so it's not the end of the world if we don;t see any whales but it would be interesting to know what the chances are.....Thanks! Andy

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Whale watching mid-April

I've done Whale watching out of Provincetown AND the New England Aquarium, both times around Memorial Day. People in town had shorts....it was REALLY cold on the boat. at Different times we saw whales breeching, spy-hopping.......

CA
8 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Whale watching mid-April

Just back from the whale watch cruise over the weekend. Yes it was hot inland but, with the wind, it was very very cold on the deck!! Multi-layer, hat, gloves are MUST. We saw a humpback couple times really closed, and couple times from a bit of a distance (more than 100 ft) but still saw them blowing and diving.

Comparing to the summer time, I guess spotting only one whales for 3-4 dives may not be too exciting. As a first timer, I was enjoyed it very much .. except the cold. I took the advice already but still the wind caught me!

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Whale watching mid-April

The right whales are back !

boston.com/news/…in_rite_of_spri.html

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,736 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Whale watching mid-April

The last time that I went I got absolutely soaked, walked around Provincetown afterwards with water still dripping from my clothes. It can get very rough and wet at any time of the year. It was partly my fault, I should admit. I could have taken cover but then I would have missed the whales.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Whale watching mid-April

If you are not of a mind to get on the water, go to Herring Cove beach with binoculars. You might get lucky and see a pod of whales from shore. Look for birds overhead, and "steam-like" spouts of water.

16. Re: Whale watching mid-April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 03, 2010