We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching - reserve ahead of time? Discounts?

Which Provincetown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
543 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching - reserve ahead of time? Discounts?

I am going to be coming to P-town the weekend of Sept. 20-21. Do I need to schedule a watching trip ahead of time? I don't think its peak season, so I cannot imagine it being packed.

Also last 2 times I went I got VERY, VERY sick... but I am excited to try again. I would think the drugs have gotten better over the last 10 years since I last went.

Is Sept. a good time to see whales, or have they left the waters of the bay?

Are there any suggestions for coupons/discounts for the trips?

Thanks, cannot wait to get to P-town!

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching - reserve ahead of time? Discounts?

First: You're very brave to try a whale watch again in spite of seasickness! For seasickness: Try Bomine, over the counter stuff that doesn't make one as drowsy as Dramamine. I don't know if the stabilizers on these boats have gotten any better over the last ten years, but there is still a fair amount of rocking/rolling when the boat stops to allow passengers to view whales.

Other help: Before you board: Try keeping your fluid intake to a minimum and take your anti-nausea meds Before you get on the boat (follow the instructions: many people wait to see how they'll feel without the meds and by the time they realize they've made a horrible mistake, it's simply too late for the meds to be effective...) It helps to stay outside (in the middle of the deck may be the most stable as the bow and the stern will have quite a bit of movement)but away from the exhaust of the engines. Hopefully the whale watch will be worth it for you in spite of your vestibular system issues. Seasickness is not something you can "talk" yourself out of.

You won't need reservations during the third week of September. Check their website or send an email asking about the frequency of whale sightings in the fall. I think you'll see plenty of whales, but I see them when we're out in Nantucket Sound; I'm not sure of the Bay whales at this time of year.

Wil, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching - reserve ahead of time? Discounts?

I went on a watching trip just about the same time last year. We've made a reservation the day before for the morning trip, but it was cancelled. So we had to take the afternoon cruise.

You still see a lot of whales, as long as you don't have to spend all your time in the restrooms ;-)

(what btw happened to me...)

I wish you good luck and don't forget to take your medicine (because I did...)

Live_From_Ptown
Level Contributor
172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching - reserve ahead of time? Discounts?

You probably don't need to order your tickets in advance, but if you order on-line at www.whalewatch.com they do give you a $3 discount off each adult fare.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
22,755 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching - reserve ahead of time? Discounts?

Do not buy tickets in advance. Wait to see what the weather is like. Remember, even if it's perfectly clear, seas can be rough from storm systems passing way off shore or high winds.

Also, in addition to the advice you receieved about minumum fluids and taking the meds before you board ... do NOT make the mistake of boarding on an empty stomach thinking "nothing to come up". That makes it worse .... eat something dry and bland -- bread, saltines, etc.

Maine
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching - reserve ahead of time? Discounts?

I get sea sick everytime, took Bonine this time and actually had a HOTDOG for lunch out there, but I waited until the morning of to book, had no problem, I will say that by late afternoon the Bonine knocked me out, I was done for the day.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching - reserve ahead of time? Discounts?

Crackers/bread/toast/bagel: All good ideas and can help stave off seasickness. (once you're seasick, there's really nothing that will help while you're still on the boat.:( Some people might sip ginger ale or a cola, but it looks to be a miserable condition at that point and only rectified by walking about while on dry land.)

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,294 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale watching - reserve ahead of time? Discounts?

If you are a AAA member then take your card for a discount instead of looking for coupons.

Call your pharmacy and ask them to get you a box of Marezine. It is over the counter but I've never seen it on the shelves except in Juneau, Alaska. It won't make you drowsy and you can have it with alcohol (beer with lunch???) as well. Personal experience and results from cruisers with whom we've shared it indicate that this is the best you can get.

Have fun.

8. Re: Whale watching - reserve ahead of time? Discounts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, October 05, 2009