We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captain John's Whale Watching

nj
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Captain John's Whale Watching

Has anyone gone on the whale watching excursion with Captain John? I was wondering what your experience was and where do you park to get the boat?

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
6 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captain John's Whale Watching

No matter what boat you take (there are several based in Plymouth) or what harbor you leave from (Glouster up north, Provincetown on the tip of the cape, Plymouth, etc.), they all go to the same place - Stellwagen banks (sp?) where the whales feed.

How much you get out of it mostly depends on how many whales you spot. Some days it is spectacular and your boat is surrounded by whales breaching, diving, etc. Other days they are few and far between (I have no clue where they are those days). There is no predicting it.

Captain John does a fine job, and they do have naturalists who do a good job of teaching about these incredible creatures.

Go for it

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Stow, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Captain John's Whale Watching

We have been on the boats out of Plymouth several times and have always seen whales. It is a fun trip.

There is public parking for a fee on the waterfront where the boats leave from. There are a couple of different lots.

If you don't mind walking a little bit (it is actually a nice little walk), I would recommend parking at the Jenney Gristmill. There is free parking and you can leave your car there the entire day, if you wanted to walk around the waterfront before or after the whalewatch. There are directions online at www.jenneygristmill.org. Once there follow the path next to the grist mill down to the waterfront. It is probably a 5-10 minute walk depending on your pace.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captain John's Whale Watching

Please, please check the weather report before you go out. Sounds simple, right? Well, I've lived in New England all my life and have been around the water. My friend won tickets to go on a whale watch Captain John's out of Plymouth, MA. It was a beautiful sunny day so I thought nothing of checking the weather. Well, let me tell you that it was the whale watch from h*#%. There was a small craft advisory

up for the day and it was really rough. You could not let go of anything you were holding or you'd fall for sure. Three quarters of the passengers were sick. Luckily I didn't get sick but it wasn't very pleasant. They did warn us up front that it would be rough but I never imagined it would be that rough. If it's blowing 20 knots or more I wouldn't go out. We did see whales but it was hard to take pictures when you had to hold onto the rails

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Iowa
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captain John's Whale Watching

My family and I went on a whale watching excursion with Captain John's Whale Watch last Thursday (July 19) and had the time of our lives. The winds were light so we didn't have any boat-rocking or seasickness issues, but I do wish I had brought a light jacket along. I was extremely concerned when we first arrived at the feeding grounds as it was very foggy - visibility was probably 1/4 to 1/2 mile - but we saw our first whales (five humpbacks at once) within a few minutes very close to the boat. We never went for more than three or four minutes without seeing some whale activity. Then just as we were about to head back to Plymouth, a couple of humpback whale calves became curious with us and put on an excellent show just a few feet from the boat! The captain stayed on-site as long as the whales were playing around the boat, then we headed for home. We were on the boat about 4 hours and 40 minutes, but it didn't seem that long.

We parked in the city lot directly in front of the "Lobster Hut" restaurant - also at the wharf - just a two-minute walk from Capt. John's for $1 per hour.

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Lobster Hut
Lobster Hut
767 Reviews
Plymouth, MA
anywhere
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Captain John's Whale Watching

We just took a whale watch on Captain John's yesterday 8/5. It was great! There was a marine biologist right on board doing all sorts of educational activities throughout the trip..and by leaving from Plymouth..you get a harbor tour and those activities that are very educational prior to getting out to the whales. Not to mention, it is less expensive($35) leaving from Plymouth than it was from Glouster...can't speak for the Cape.

My inlaws are here..so if you what a nice double whammy...take a 9AM whale watch on Captain John's..be back to Plymouth by 1:00..eat on the water front , see pilgrim Rock and the Mayflower. ..perhaps even see a museum, or go over to Plymouth Plantation.. It is a nice way to combine a few touristy activities. It was a hit with my Inlaws!!! I highly suggest Captain John's out of Plymouth.. The location was excellent because of what I mentioned above, and the service was great and friendly.

PS. there is a snack bar on board too, but you can bring your own food.

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Captain John's Whale Watching

We were on vacation in July 2007 and went on Captain John's boat out of Plymouth. It was EXCELLENT!!! We actually got to see a mother and calf playing together. They swam right up to our boat and then under it - twice!

We parked in the pre-pay parking lot near the restaurants.

My children (ages 7 and 13) enjoyed this trip and are still talking about it.

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Toronto
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Captain John's Whale Watching

We just went last week and it was amazing! a mother a baby humpback came right beside our boat. They were quite interested in "people watching". Captain John is a good outfit. Boats are clean. We really enjoyed having a naturalist on board. It seems that the crew is responsible and try to take care of the feeding ground and whales. There is FREE parking. You just have to drive a little north of the docks. Also, be sure to get a coupon for $2 OFF for the boat.

8. Re: Captain John's Whale Watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 10, 2009