We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice on Getting to North Reading

Gloucester...
3 posts
Save Topic
Need Advice on Getting to North Reading

Hi. I live in Gloucester, MA and I've been invited to someone's house for Easter on March 31. They live in North Reading. Here's the problem: I can't drive, and they can't come down and get me. It's too much trouble because they have two small children and I wouldn't want to burden them that way anyhow.

There are no buses from Gloucester to N. Reading and even if there were, there's no Sunday service. There's an MBTA commuter train from North Station to Reading. Maybe I could go that way and the family could come down and get me. It'd mean going down from Gloucester to North Station and then back up to Reading, but if that's the only way, I don't mind. Unless someone has a better suggestion. If you do, please let me know. I should mention that I'm living on Social Security and not exactly well off. Thank you. -- Clare Higgins

7 replies to this topic
Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice on Getting to North Reading

Does your local senior center have transportation help in the form of a volunteer driver and car? If you call them or the Mayor's Office in Gloucester, they may be able to help you.

Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
589 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice on Getting to North Reading

Perhaps you use a cane? If so, you may also be eligible for The Ride. Look at the guidelines on the MBTA website for The Ride. If eligible, an applicant needs to get an in-person interview where a ride is provided. The cost of The Ride is $5 one way outside the city where MBTA service is provided which included Gloucester and Reading.

Gloucester...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice on Getting to North Reading

I will do so! Thank you!

Gloucester...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Advice on Getting to North Reading

Unfortunately I don't use a cane. Thank you anyway.

Clare

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Advice on Getting to North Reading

The ride is an excellent suggestion. It goes to wherever the t goes.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Advice on Getting to North Reading

If one of the suggestions above doesn't work, I think you've identified the best way (commuter rail into North Station and then back north to Reading)--it will be a long day and the infrequent weekend service will make it even tougher. My one suggestion is to check with your friends about the closest train station to their home. North Reading is large in geographic area and one of the stops north of Reading may actually be closer.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Advice on Getting to North Reading

The Ride is a good suggestion, but you need to submit a written application and approval takes a number of weeks, so approval in time for Easter is probably not possible. Commuter rail to Boston and then back up to North Reading seems your best option.

Reply to: Need Advice on Getting to North Reading
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about North Reading