We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proximity to Boston

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
103 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Proximity to Boston

My wife and I are booked at the Crowne Plaza in Newton for a night in August. (we chose it b/c we had points to burn at an IHG property and the downtown Boston hotels required far more points).

We plan on spending most of our time exploring Boston and will have a car. Should we drive in to Boston from Newton? Take public transportation (and if so, what would be the best option and does it run late in the evening?)? Any other recommendations for our short stay in the area?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Newton
Newton
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
5 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,303 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proximity to Boston

Did you notice this announcement on the hotel's website? The hotel itself is built over the Massachusetts Turnpike so the construction would be going on right below you:

nnouncements

Construction Announcement

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation will be performing bridge work under our hotel SUNDAYS THROUGH THURSDAYS from 10:00 pm until 4:00 am through August

Edited: 5:27 pm, July 02, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,298 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proximity to Boston

Yikes. Good catch kendrick. Don't do it!

I just took a quick look at IHG properties, ignoring the downtown Boston ones. Apparently Hotel Indigo is an IHG property. That would be a great choice. It's a nice hotel right next to the Riverside T station in Newton. They have reasonable parking and a great pool. They charge a small fee for parking ($7 a night, I think) but you can walk to the T.

Holiday Inn Brookline is another IHG option that might have more reasonable points. The hotel is not as nice as the Indigo and they charge more for parking, but they are in a nice walkable neighborhood with shops and stores and it's a shorter T ride into Boston.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Newton
Newton
Massachusetts
Brookline
Brookline
Massachusetts
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
103 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proximity to Boston

Thanks for the advice - those other 2 hotels are 5X as many points as the Crowne Plaza. I called the hotel and they said the construction wouldn't present a noise problem, so I think we'll stay put for now (but I'll pay attention to reviews over the next few weeks. Would still be interested in knowing if people recommend we drive in to Boston or take public transport .

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,417 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Proximity to Boston

You're only going for one day - drive in.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,303 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proximity to Boston

I think it is probably a good idea to keep your eye on the reviews - just a guess but the construction may be the reason why it this hotel is fewer points.

Reply to: Proximity to Boston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted