We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking near Newburyport MA

phoenixville, pa
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking near Newburyport MA

My husband and I will be visiting Newburyport over Labor Day and would like to go hiking. I love a nice, steep woodsy trail to enjoy the scenery and get a workout. Any suggestions? I don't mind driving a bit for a good trail!

Parker River National Wildlife Refuge
National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Waterfront Park
Parks, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Plum Island
Beaches, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
9 replies to this topic
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking near Newburyport MA

there really aren't any "steep, woodsy" trails near Newburyport, which is on the coast, at the mouth of the Merrimack River (it's like asking where to go hiking in New Orleans). so yes, you would have to drive. an easy day hike with a spectacular view is Mount Willard in Crawford Notch, NH.

Something more challenging and I think doable from Newburyport would be Mt. Moosilauke. I can recommend the Gorge Brook trail although I have not done it in 44 years - a great hike:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~doc/moosilauke/summertrips/

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,763 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking near Newburyport MA

You should take a look at properties owned by the Trustees of Reservations. You can sort by region and activity. They have a lot of properties in the North Shore though they'll be more scenic walks rather than mountain hikes. www.thetrustees.org

Maine
Level Contributor
898 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking near Newburyport MA

For something a little closer than the hikes mentioned above you could try Mount Agamenticus in York, Maine. Less than an hours drive from Newburyport.

http://www.agamenticus.org/

Mentioned in this post
York
York
Maine
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking near Newburyport MA

How far do you want to drive? How long do you want the trail to be? 

But while in Newburyport......

There's is a very easy, flat short paved trail that I LOVE: The Newburyport Clipper City Rail Trail and to extend the trail walk over the Route One bridge to the Old Eastern Marsh Trail in Salsibury.

Enjoy! 

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking near Newburyport MA

As mentioned w/Newburyport being on the coast, you'll not find many hills nearby. On the other hand, several excellent beach/marsh areas and woodlands.

Plum Island (in Newburyport) and Crane's Beach/Estate (in Ipswich) are good options. Miles of beach and at Crane's you also have the Estate/Mansion and many acres of woodlands to walk.

The other place we always loved is the Maudslay State Park in Newburyport. Over 500 acres of woods along the Merrimack River w/lots of trails.

Mentioned in this post
Plum Island
Plum Island
Massachusetts
Ipswich
Ipswich
Massachusetts
Maudslay State Park
Maudslay State Park
132 Reviews
Newburyport, MA
Georgia
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking near Newburyport MA

OK, here is a link to trails in Mass.

www.everytrail.com/best/hiking-massachusetts

Which reminds me of Harold Parker St Park in Andover and the Blue Hills south of Boston.

Edited: 12:02 pm, August 29, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Andover
Andover
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Georgia
Level Contributor
2,950 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking near Newburyport MA

OK, one more. You can look at the everytrails for NH where there are dozens of real mountain hikes in northern NH, which still isn't too far from Newburyport.

But check this out...

everytrail.com/best/hiking-pawtuckaway-state…

I have been to Pawtuckaway St Park, but never hiked. This isn't too terribly far from Newburyport.

Woburn...
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking near Newburyport MA

I really love Pawtuckaway State Park...but it takes me about 45 minutes to get there on a good day..so from Newburyport it's probably more like an hour. I think it would be worth it though. Very pretty country up there. My cousin owns a restaurant not far from there.

If you want to stay closer, I'd suggest Halibut Point State Park in Rockport..only 2.5 miles but you could always do the trail twice. Beautiful at sunset.

Mentioned in this post
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
phoenixville, pa
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking near Newburyport MA

Thanks to everyone who replied--we now have many good options from which to choose. Hopefully, the rain will hold off tomorrow! Much appreciated.

Reply to: Hiking near Newburyport MA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newburyport