We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5/2/2010 Visit to Lexington & Concord-I could use some help

Which Lexington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Escondido...
Level Contributor
142 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
5/2/2010 Visit to Lexington & Concord-I could use some help

I will be in Lexington and Concord with my husband on May 2, 2010. We plan to spend the whole day there exploring the historic sites and we will have a rental car while there.

I was considering the Liberty tour, but it appears that they don't start running until the end of May, does anyone know if this is correct or when they start running that tour? Is anyone familiar with any other tours that might encompass the area and as many sites as possible. We're pretty good at squeezing in a lot of things in one day, but I thought with a guide or tour, it would give us a much better insight into everything and of course, they would know the best route/plan for the day. Are there any tours or guides that take place in early May?

In my research it seems like many things will be closed until Memorial Day, such as The Wayside and the Hartwell Tavern. Is there anywhere that I can find out what sights do not open until Memorial Day to hopefully plan my visit better? Also, are there any sights that should not be missed or sights that are completely overrated, and why?

Thanks for any help!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5/2/2010 Visit to Lexington & Concord-I could use some help

If you have the car I think you can plan your stops that will give you flexibility to go at your own pace.

At the Minute Man National Park definitely stop at the Minute Man visitor center it has a good movie that describes the history, it has some displays, nice store, and there are park rangers there to give you ideas of places to visit. This will be open when you are here. Ask the rangers for advice.

It is true that many of the MM Nat Park events aren't on until May but you can still visit the sites such as the North bridge or walk various trails in the park.

Concord center is quite nice to tour and there is the Concord museum and cemeteries, and historic houses that are open year round (like Orchard House, etc.) See some ideas here:

http://www.concordma.com/history.html

Lots of good information here for visitors:

concordchamberofcommerce.org/…historical

In Lexington there is the National Heritage Museum which I believe is free and open year round:

http://www.monh.org

My review of MM Natl Park:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60901-d1052…

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5/2/2010 Visit to Lexington & Concord-I could use some help

If interested in tours, especially check this link out:

concordchamberofcommerce.org/…tours

Looks like you need to reserve in advance.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 5/2/2010 Visit to Lexington & Concord-I could use some help

You seem to have two posts going on this subject. There's an answer from me and others on your other post.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
142 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5/2/2010 Visit to Lexington & Concord-I could use some help

I did post it in both the Lexington forum and the Concord Forum, so that if thre were destination experts in either, they'd be notified.

The suggestions are awesome. Thank you both for the links and recommendations. I'm definitely going to contact the Concord Tours and I'll see if we can plan to do MM & Lexington in the AM and a tour in Concord in the PM. Great suggestions.

Sunset Beach, North...
Level Contributor
7 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5/2/2010 Visit to Lexington & Concord-I could use some help

I agree with Sedum 37. It's exactly what I was planning to suggest, and I am a long-time resident of Concord.

The Concord Museum is a wonderful place if you enjoy history, antiques and stories of early Concord and the area. Louisa May Alcott's house appeals to many readers and artists. There's so much to do here it would take much more than a day. Sleepy Hollow Cemetery and the North Bridge (which is a nice walk from Concord center) is great for a walk on a nice day. Do plan to walk around town. If you have an opportunity, you should visit the Concord Public Library, right in the center. There is much information about Thoreau, Emerson, Alcott and many other famous citizens. Besides, it's a neat building and has lots of comfy chairs to rest your wearly travelers' feet! Hope you enjoy MY TOWN.

Edited: 11:40 am, February 14, 2010
Escondido...
Level Contributor
142 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5/2/2010 Visit to Lexington & Concord-I could use some help

Thanks Pat C! Those are exactly the types of suggestions we love! If you think of anything else going on that day, be sure to let me know!!!

7. Re: 5/2/2010 Visit to Lexington & Concord-I could use some help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 16, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Lexington
More Lexington Topics