We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyannis ferry to Martha's vineyard, Nantucket and back

Scottish Western...
Level Contributor
80 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Hyannis ferry to Martha's vineyard, Nantucket and back

Hi there, Is it possible to catch an early ferry to Martha's vineyard, spend a day, then catch a ferry to Nantucket, spend the night and catch a direct ferry back to Hyannis the following day?

Can we buy ferry tickets in advance over the net?

Sorry if this has all been asked before. Much appreciate some advice.

Thankyou

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
703 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyannis ferry to Martha's vineyard, Nantucket and back

Not exactly in the way you described. In the summer there is an inter-island ferry (run by Hy-Line) but it leaves MV around 2 pm. So you wouldn't really have a full day there. The alternative is to fly over on Cape Air.

Otherwise, yes, there are ferries to both islands from Hyannis, so you can return to your starting point.

Hy-Line also has an "around the sound" cruise that is a day-return from Hyannis, spending a few hours at each island.

Both islands are special places and I think you will enjoy yourself more if you spend the available time on just one or the other, rather than spending time traveling back and forth.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyannis ferry to Martha's vineyard, Nantucket and back

I think you would be hard pressed to find lodging on Nantucket for only one night in the summer. Most places have minimum stay requirements. If I were you I would pick one island and get to know it for the day, then return to to Cape Cod. For a day trip from Hyannis, my choice would be to take the fast ferry (Grey Lady/Hy-Line) to Nantucket but if you were staying in Falmouth, then the ferry to MV also makes sense.

Scottish Western...
Level Contributor
80 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyannis ferry to Martha's vineyard, Nantucket and back

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Here where I live, the whole place is dotted with small islands and we hop over here and there all the time to dances etc.

I guess I kind of expected it to be the same so glad of the info thank you.

4. Re: Hyannis ferry to Martha's vineyard, Nantucket and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, November 02, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Hyannis Port
More Hyannis Port Topics