We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries to the Vineyard or Nantucket

Which Hyannis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ferries to the Vineyard or Nantucket

My husband and I are coming to Hyannis in late May. (Not Memorial Day) Do we really need advance reservations for the ferry or can we buy the tickets when we get there? Not sure what the weather will be like or what day we'll want to go. Thanks for your help and any other tips on the differences between the islands. Thanks!

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries to the Vineyard or Nantucket

Hi Barkyspice,

Are you planning on taking a car? If not you will be able to show up, buy a ticket and should have no problems getting a seat. If you know a few housrs ahead of time you can call for a reservtion to ease your mind but it's not necessary. On the other hand, if you taking a car you will need a reservation. You can always try to go on stand-by but there is no guarentee that there will be space on any given boat.

Nantucket is very quant, with cobblestone streets and gas lights. You can easily spend a day or two without a car if you like to poke around villages. If you go to the Vineyard without a car you can use public transportation, which should be up and running I think, to get from Vineyard Haven and Oaks Bluff to Edgartown, West Tsbury and Minemsha. We like to take the car over in the off-season as th weather can be unpredictable and we like to bop around on side roads out of town. Both Islands are nice. We have found MV a bit more friendly and "real" . Nantucket is very quant, expensive and chic. Bring your platinum visa card with you!