We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Cape Cod

Which Hyannis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Cape Cod

My husband and I will be based in Newport, visiting Cape Cod for 1-2 days the last week of October. We enjoy the outdoors, lighthouses, good food, history, museums. We would appreciate any ideas on the best places to visit on the Cape since we will only be there a short time. Also, what is the weather usually like this time of year? Thanks so much for all of your help!!

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Cape Cod

The weather is variable at this time of year, but you'll have many cool nights, so be sure to take a heavy jacket -- and rain gear.

Here are some ideas for activities:

Visit the Chatham lighthouse and enjoy the scenery (and diversity of birds!) at the nearby Monomoy Nature Preserve.

Check out the Harwich Conservation Trust's schedule of FREE nature walks, at www.harwichconservationtrust.org.

Harwich Junior Theatre in West Harwich is presenting "The Invisible Man" Oct. 30-31. It's a wonderful small theater in an historic building. (www.hjtcapecod.org)

Explore the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History in Brewster (www.ccmnh.org), then have a snack at the Brewster Store (www.brewsterstore.com) and walk around the old fulling mill and herring run, also in Brewster (gorgeous at this time of year!).

Spend some time at Wellfleet, where you can visit Marconi Station, where one of the world's first transatlantic wireless messages was sent in 1903, and take a walk through the White Cedar Swamp

(nps.gov/caco/planyourvisit/marconi-beach.htm). Then have lunch at the Bookstore and Restaurant, also in Wellfleet (www.wellfleetoyster.com).

You've chosen a great season to visit the Cape...

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Cape Cod

You will find everything you are looking for on the outer Cape from Eastham, the Gateway to the National Seashore, to Provincetown. Eastham makes an excellent base because it is only 20 minutes to Chatham, 15 minutes to Brewster and Wellfleet and 30 minutes to Provincetown. The town of Orleans, with galleries, fine dining and shopping is only 5 minutes from Eastham. Eastham is known for its fabulous ocean and bay beaches. The National Seashore Visitor's Center in Eastham has a nice museum, and short films. You will find plenty of help there if you want scenic walks and information about free things to do in the park.

Perhaps you would enjoy a tour of the Captain Penniman House, a whaling captain's house on Fort Hill in Eastham. The tour will give you a real sense of the history of Cape Cod. We always stay across the street at the historic Fort Hill Bed and Breakfast because the nature walks and views of Nauset Marsh/Atlantic Ocean are right out their front door and the innkeepers are very welcoming. There are also 6-8 great restaurants within 5-10 minutes of Fort Hill on a year-round basis and, of course, many more during the summer season.

If you want to tour lighthouses, you might enjoy Nauset lighthouse and the Three Sisters Lighthouses, all in Eastham.

With only a day or two you will have to choose what your priorities are since there many things to do from one end of the cape to the other! The outer cape is always my choice....and I am never disappointed.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,125 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Cape Cod

It sounds like you are staying in Newport and making one or two day trips to the Cape. If that is the case then I suggest you spend more time enjoying the Cape instead of traveling it.

You can do that by visiting the Upper Cape. There's plenty to do in Falmouth/Woods Hole for a day and in Sandwich and along Old Kings Highway (Rt. 6A..not 6) for another day.

If you like this idea then select these towns from the drop down menu and you will see all the message board comments relating to these areas.

There's a lot to do/see on the Cape, a place with an abundance of natural beauty, so you won't go wrong with anything you do.

Have fun.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Cape Cod

I guess I misread your original post and thought you might want to stay on Cape Cod. If you are only looking at the cape for a day trip then CapeCod Charlie is absolutely correct. Stay on the upper cape to explore. The outer cape would involve more driving and is best saved for another time.

5. Re: First time to Cape Cod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, October 11, 2009