We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winstead Beach Resort vs. Sandpiper??

Which Harwich Port hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Winstead Beach Resort vs. Sandpiper??

I am trying to find beach-front accomodations for my parents (in their 60's) that are scenic, comfortable, and reasonably nice - not expecting Chatham Bars but would like something clean and updated. Are both of these directly on the beach with beach usage?? What about breakfast availability? I'd love any opinions. I know that Winstead has a pool and wasn't sure if it was usable by people staying at the beach resort or just the in-town inn? I'm looking to book for early August.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winstead Beach Resort vs. Sandpiper??

The Sandpiper is right on the beach and has a private beach. I know there are reviews for Sandpiper on this board and the Winstead (just in case you haven't already looked). Both are a few minutes walk to the shops and restaurants of Harwichport. Your best bet is to probably call the inns directly with specific questions and to check availability.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winstead Beach Resort vs. Sandpiper??

Thanks. I did call Winstead and found out that they are further over from Bank St. Beach so Sandpiper buffers them a bit from the public beach. They seemed to get better reviews, so that's what we are going with. If anyone else is interested, people staying at either beach or in-town can use the pool and breakfast is served for both but only at the beach location.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winstead Beach Resort vs. Sandpiper??

The inn looks beautiful. I your parents enjoy their stay. I love Harwichport.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winstead Beach Resort vs. Sandpiper??

We have stayed at both places.... the in town Winsted and the Sandpiper. The new beachfront units at the Sandpiper are right on the beach and so lovely with the fireplace in your room. The Sandpiper is very low key with not much of a lounge area and and an okay continental breakfast. We had a wonderful time there this year.

The Winsted in town is a gorgeous renovated home and the heated pool is very lovely. Both the beach resort and the house have a lot of class. We thought the room at the beach resort smelled a bit musty, so we asked to stay in town. However the lounge area and the continental breakfast at the beach resort are very lovely..... The Winsted was going to be twice the price of the Sandpiper this year so we opted for price and it was great.

Parking is much more comfortable at the Sandpiper.....

I must say that the innkeepers at the Winsted are quite meticulous!

You will enjoy either property....

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,294 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winstead Beach Resort vs. Sandpiper??

I'm confused Shelley. Would you review that again? At which property did you stay?

New Haven...
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winstead Beach Resort vs. Sandpiper??

We stayed at the Winsted Inn (in town, not at the beach). We went to the Winsted Beach Resort and my husband didn't like the room because of the musty smell.It is an old property, beautifully maintained but the sleeping room did have that mustiness familiar to old Cape houses. The furnishings were lovely, the breakfast delicious and the lounge area is very inviting. The room in-town(Harwichport) was wonderful.... all renovated, great bathroom, lovely furnishings and a beautiful pool. We stayed there in May 2008.

In June 2009 we stayed in unit 19 at the Sandpiper.

Unit 19 and Unit 20 were just completely renovated and are beautiful! The rest of the property has small rooms that are in need of renovation....although they are clean and comfortable....rather basic.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,294 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winstead Beach Resort vs. Sandpiper??

Great info Shelley. Rent # 19 and 20 at Sandpiper. Hope they bring the rest up to these standards soon too. Thanks.

8. Re: Winstead Beach Resort vs. Sandpiper??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 02, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Harwich Port