We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Greenfield really want tourists?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
4 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Does Greenfield really want tourists?

I visited Greenfield recently and although there is a quaint and adorable New England charm to it, it seems to have been overrun with societies "less desirable". Shopping downtown was downright scary, hassled by the homeless and apparently mentally ill. I couldn't walk ten feet without being surrounded by a cloud of second hand smoke or dodging skateboarders, kids on bikes or a man walking with a traffic cone on his head. The sound of traffic peeling out, cars with no exhaust and constant blaring horns where only overshadowed by the frequent use of the "f-bomb" by the many, many street people who just loiter, ask passerbys for money or simply just hassle. I was later accosted by the nazi-meter maid, who is obviously out to independently finance Greenfield's town budget. You don't wait at a vehicle & ticket someone who is walking to the meter to put money in the second the meter expires. Never have I seen a meter maid so aggressive and rude (not to mention $10 for a ticket? Twice the price of NYC)

While I find Greenfield has wonderful little shops & fantastic restaurants, if this town really wants people to visit, stay, shop and mostly RETURN, they must clean it up. I remember Greenfield many years ago as a lovely town and while it has so many good attributes, they are hidden beneath filth and an uninviting downtown. The ghetto is not a destination place.

Is Greenfield working on cleaning this mess up? Seems to me the town people and local authorities need to get together and find a way to change the direction downtown Greenfield is heading.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
10 replies to this topic
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Greenfield really want tourists?

What do you suggest? That they liquidate the ghetto?

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,598 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Greenfield really want tourists?

Is the best method for caring for the homeless simply to turn them lose on the streets and leave them to their own devices? Surely there is something between that and "liquidating." If any downtown is left to decay as the OP has described it will no longer have "wonderful little shops & fantastic restaurants."

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Greenfield really want tourists?

Meter violations in Manhattan are $65.

Greenfield is an economically depressed town, like Pittsfield or Westfield further to the west. It has always been spoken of as being "the next Northampton", but it has never quite managed to attain that status. It offers a lot of bang for your housing buck, so it attracts poorer people. There is no active way, that I know of, for a town to force gentrification; it is a market driven process.

Edited: 10:03 am, November 11, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Pittsfield
Pittsfield
Berkshires, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,611 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Greenfield really want tourists?

Did you watch the recent Anthony Bourdain show on Greenfield?

Boston...
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Greenfield really want tourists?

Kids on bikes and skateboards? Seriously?

Swearing and people with junky cars?

Maybe it's the type of tourism you could use because it seems you're a bit out of touch with reality if these things upset you you.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,351 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Greenfield really want tourists?

I am thinking it does not want tourists. I have not seen any directed advertising and this is only the 4th question here and one was about a Super 8 motel. Sounds like America to me with all its blemishes.

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Greenfield really want tourists?

I will definitely return to the peoples pint..... but agree that the town has seen better days.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Greenfield really want tourists?

Nope, and I don't think they promote themselves as a tourist destination, either. If you went a bit further south on 91 you would have come across Deerfield which *is* geared to tourism and Northampton and Amherst, lovely towns as long as you don't mind all those college kids.

Mentioned in this post
Northampton
Northampton
Hampshire County, MA
Amherst
Amherst
Hampshire County, MA
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,049 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does Greenfield really want tourists?

I really don't believe that a parking ticket in NYC is $5.

Greenfield is an econmically depressed town; it isn't a tourist destination. I heard about the Bourdain visit too, that's potentially a light at the end of the tunnel, but it just isn't a sightseeing town right now. It is struggling.

That said, i have been to lots of actual tourist destinations that also still have these same real-life problems. Unlike visiting Disney.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,478 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does Greenfield really want tourists?

I don't think Greenfield has the luxury to think much about whether or not you have a good time while you are there. It is a poor working class town with a lot of social problems including heroin. Take yourself somewhere more gentrified so you wont have to be annoyed by other peoples reality.

Reply to: Does Greenfield really want tourists?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Greenfield