We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report...Day 5...Tour de New England

jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
368 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report...Day 5...Tour de New England

Sunday 9-13-09

Plan for the day: Early start..stop in Newport RI..ferry to Martha's Vineyard...overnight in Falmouth, MA...could it be done??

As planned, was able to hit the road at daybreak, 6:30am. Good directions from Rich and light traffic enabled me to get onto the Parkway and 1-95 with no problem. It did cost a hefty $5.50 to cross the Whitestone Bronx Bridge.

Newport came into view as scheduled around 10am. First stop would be the International Tennis Hall of Fame. Had hoped to play on their grass courts-- the only place in the US that has them--but they were all shut down due to overnight rain. It was still interesting to walk around the original home of the US Open...it's a must for tennis fans.

Next up would be the "cottages" Parked near the 40 Steps off Narragansett and headed souh on the Cliff Walk. A tour of Cornelius Vanderbilt's maansion "The Breakers" would provide welcome relief from the heat. If you can only visit 1 of the 12 Newport Mansions, this is the one...It really lived up to the hype..it has to be 1 of the most spectacular mansions on earth...the only disappointment was that pictures were not allowed inside. Continued south on the Cliff Walk until finally reaching Marble House...did not realize it would be such a long walk. Marble House was every bit as spectacular as The Breakers. Italian marble and gold everywhere. Words can't do it justice. Would have loved to tour more of the museum houses and spend the rest of the day in beautiful Newport but time wouldn't permit. The return hike along the Cliff Walk was pretty dramatic, with the ocean waves crashing into the rocks.

On the road again, next stop...Falmouth, Mass...arrived around 3:30pm, checked into the Falmouth Inn hotel, left my car in their parking lot and it was a 5 minute walk to Falmouth Harbor where for $10 the Island Queen was waiting to take me to Martha's Vineyard at 4:30.

It was a pleasant 1/2 hr ferry to Oak Bluffs. Once on the island, asked for directions and headed directly to the Gingerbread Cottages...they are quite a sight...must be around 50 of the quaint, colorful houses originally built for religous revival services in the 1800s. The Camp Meeting Tabernacle is impressive as well. Wanted to see the 1876 Flying Horses Carousel but it was closed, all to be done was peer inside from the front door window.

It was now around 6pm and wanted to get on the MVTA bus and see as much of the island as possible in the remaing hour of daylight. the bus made a brief stop in Edgartown and the airport before arriving at Gay Head. Only had about 10 minutes to see the Cliffs and Lighthouse from the observation point, but the goal had been achieved...that was part of the planning before leaving Houston..try to make it to the Aquinnah Cliffs...it would not seem doable having spent 4+ hours in Newport after leaving NYC at 6:30am this morning...it felt pretty good to look over the beautiful red cliffs as the sun set. Now all that remained was to somehow get back to Falmouth. Couldn't make the final 8:30pm Island Queen ferry in Oak Bluffs. The bus driver was very helpful..after changing buses in West Tisbury, made it to Vineyard Haven in time for the 9:30 Steamship Authority boat---the last ferry off MV for the night..but it went to Woods Hole, 4 miles from Falmouth. A shutte bus would drop off ferry passengers at the Palmer Avenue parking lot in Falmouth. From there it was a nice walk in the quiet Falmouth streets before reaching my hotel.

It was late. I was tired. But Day 5 had been a huge success.

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth Inn
Falmouth Inn
150 Reviews
Falmouth, MA
The Breakers
The Breakers
4,673 Reviews
Newport, RI
Marble House
Marble House
1,390 Reviews
Newport, RI
International Tennis Hall of Fame
International Tennis...
458 Reviews
Newport, RI
Cliff Walk
Cliff Walk
4,204 Reviews
Newport, RI
Newport Mansions
Newport Mansions
1,453 Reviews
Newport, RI
Flying Horses Carousel
Flying Horses Carousel
274 Reviews
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Gay Head
Gay Head
118 Reviews
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Aquinnah Cliffs
Aquinnah Cliffs
373 Reviews
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Island Queen Ferry
Island Queen Ferry
741 Reviews
Falmouth, MA
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Martha's Vineyard
Martha's Vineyard
Massachusetts
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Bronx
Bronx
New York
Narragansett
Narragansett
South County, RI
Edgartown
Edgartown
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Woods Hole
Woods Hole
Falmouth, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report...Day 5...Tour de New England

Wow! An ambitious day, but you did it! Sounds great -- glad you saw most of what you wanted to see. I love the gingerbread cottages in Oak Bluffs (also called the "Camp Meeting Grounds," because they are or were part of the Methodist Church having big summer revival meetings, and the attendees eventually built little cottages where once there had been tents).

Mentioned in this post
Oak Bluffs
Oak Bluffs
Martha's Vineyard, MA
Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report...Day 5...Tour de New England

Now, That's a Day!!! Good for you! Did you take a lot of pictures? (what a contrast between the Camp Meeting Ground cottages and the grand 'cottages' of Newport: you could do a frame filled with pictures from both places and title it: 'Cottages') : )

Thanks for posting.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report...Day 5...Tour de New England

WOW! Tell me that you followed that up with a relaxing beach day OR tell me that you are superman!

Thanks for the details.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
871 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report...Day 5...Tour de New England

I am impressed and happy that your day went well. More report to come?

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report...Day 5...Tour de New England

Such a "clock-work" schedule does not happen with out meticulous planning!

Looks like you did not encounter any snags on this day though...congratulations on your success. Looking forward to the report for day 2 on Cape Cod.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
368 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report...Day 5...Tour de New England

Thanks for the kind words. That's quite true about the detailed planning...phone calls to MVTA, the Steamship Authority, etc...Asking questions on Trip Advisor...for example, discovering that the Island Queen ferry schedule changes Sept 14 prompted me to try to squeeze MV into Sunday afternoon 9/13.

Lance had his Tour de France...I had my Tour de New England...This was Day 5 of 14 Days..

Mentioned in this post
The Steamship Authority
The Steamship Authority
302 Reviews
Hyannis, MA
Island Queen Ferry
Island Queen Ferry
741 Reviews
Falmouth, MA
New England
New England
United States
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report...Day 5...Tour de New England

Whew! You mean you kept this up for two weeks. Stronger than Lance I'd say.

8. Re: Trip Report...Day 5...Tour de New England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, April 13, 2010