We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Victorian Inn or Hob Knob Inn & MV in September?

Buckinghamshire...
11 posts
Save Topic
Victorian Inn or Hob Knob Inn & MV in September?

Hi

My husband and I are from London and planning to spend 3 nights in Martha's Vineyard at the end of September.

I have a few questions I was hoping someone would be able to help with...

1. What is the weather like end of September/Beginning of Oct?

2. Where is the best place to stay, Vic Inn or Hob Knob Inn? On first appearance The Hob Knob Inn looks absolutely beautiful but I get the impression they are not particularly friendly?

Finally, please excuse my ignorance, but will the leaves have started changing colour by then or is the fall more late October time??!!

Thanks very much for your help

Lu

MV2
NJ
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Victorian Inn or Hob Knob Inn & MV in September?

Hi Lu - the weather the end of Sept/beginning of Oct can be changeable but I'd say a safe answer would be in the 60's.

I have stayed at both places... twice at the Hob Knob and 9 times at the Victorian Inn. I love the owners at the Vic, they are the nicest people you could wish to meet. The rooms are great, especially the ones on the 3rd floor (the view is amazing). Their breakfast can't be beat. I simply love staying there ... but... there are a few possible drawbacks. No TV's or radios or phones in the rooms... only one parlor to sit in if you don't want to stay in your room. The Vic is right in the center of Edgartown. The Hob Knob a few blocks away.

The Hob Knob is very nice also, the rooms have TV's and radios. The breakfasts are good. I've still not found the people there to be terribly friendly and in my opinion a smile goes a long way.

Both places have comfy beds and nice linens.

I hope this has helped, it's a hard decision but I think you'd be happy at either one.

You could maybe do 2 nights at one and 1 night at the other !!!!

The leaves usually change mid-to late October.

Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,927 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Victorian Inn or Hob Knob Inn & MV in September?

Can't answer your specific question on inns, but weather and leaves I can. The weather at that time of year is generally very pleasant. Days in the 50's and 60's are usual, although it can be warmer or cooler as well. The air temperatures are usually not warm enough for swimming, but the ocean is actually at its warmest. The evenings are cool so you'll need jackets and sweaters. We always say layers, layers, layers.

The beginning of October is very early for Fall foliage even in Boston, although you can drive further north into New Hampshire, Maine or Vermont to really see the colors. Martha's Vineyard color comes even later. By the end of October, MV would have optimum color, but given the types of vegetation, I would expect the same level of intensity you'd see from Boston northwards.

I DO hope you're planning to spend at least a few days in Boston itself. It's a lovely city and most people really enjoy it, especially that time of year.

Buckinghamshire...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Victorian Inn or Hob Knob Inn & MV in September?

Thanks ever so much for your help guys thats great.

MV2 - I agree a smile goes a long way so the Vic Inn sounds lovely.

I was also looking at Oak Bluffs but Edgartown looks very quaint and pretty as a base.

Alanm - Yes we are planning on visiting Washington DC, then Boston and driving to MV. I have heard Boston is a beautiful city and any tips on areas to stay whilst we are there would also be appreciated!

Have a great day

Lu

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,927 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Victorian Inn or Hob Knob Inn & MV in September?

Tallulah and Frank,

First, let me correct a typo in the MV leaves discussion. What I MEANT to say was that MV's vegetation doesn't lend itself as well to color as that which you'll Boston and northwards. So the colors won't be as interesting or intense.

Now to Boston.

Boston's Downtown area is pretty compact and generally easily walkable. The "T" subway system covers those other occassions or times where walking may not be the best option.

The three main areas for hotels are the Waterfront, Downtown Crossing, and Back Bay. Hotels in those areas provide relatively easy access to the city.

For specific hotels, which tend to pricier than most cities, we need to understand your specific needs and budget .

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,927 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Victorian Inn or Hob Knob Inn & MV in September?

Just noticed you said DRIVE to Martha's Vineyard. Hope you weren't meaning to be literal, since MV is an island. The ferries CAN take your car over, but it's an expensive proposition and not worth it for only 3 days. The ferries leave from either Hyannis or Falmouth.

Buckinghamshire...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Victorian Inn or Hob Knob Inn & MV in September?

Sorry! I meant to say we are driving to Falmouth and then we were unsure whether to leave car here or take over to MV.

We were planning to stay in Boston 3 nights and just do as much sightseeing as possible. So basically we need a nice hotel in a convenient area as a base. Also somewhere nice for the evenings - within strolling distance of good bars/restaurants is important.

We know Boston is more expensive and would prefer to spend no more than $250 -300 per night, though I haven't done any research yet to know whether this is realistic.

I have yet to decide where to visit apart from 3 nights in Boston & 2/3 nights in MV. I think we'll have an additional 4 days to travel. New Hampshire/Maine etc are all options so any advice on siteseeing here would be great.

Thanks so much Alanm - its much appreciated!

Lu

MV2
NJ
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Victorian Inn or Hob Knob Inn & MV in September?

Hi Lu - glad we could help. Maine is a great place to visit. Ogunquit on the coast is pretty, has a nice artist community, many many good restaurants and a great beach for walking.

I notice you're mentioning things north... but... Newport, RI is a really wonderful place to visit... to see the mansions built to be "summer homes" is mind boggling.

Glad you're going to MV though, it's my favorite place.

Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Victorian Inn or Hob Knob Inn & MV in September?

HI Lu

Late Sept is the absolute best time of year to visit. The leaves won't have changed yet but that time of year is usually perfect. Warm days and cool nights. Your impression of the Hob Knob is absolutely correct but I think you'll enjoy either property. If you stay at the Victorian ask for the corner room with the balcony on the third floor. There is a bit of a harbor view from there. The Victorian is right in the center of town while the Hob Knob is about a half mile walk to the harbor.

Brian

Buckinghamshire...
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Victorian Inn or Hob Knob Inn & MV in September?

MV2 - thanks for the RI tip - I shall do some research.

Bcsmvy - thanks for your advice and I'm glad September is a good time to visit.

Thanks for all your help and I'm sure I'll be back for more tips soon.

Lu

oak bluffs
Level Contributor
5 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Victorian Inn or Hob Knob Inn & MV in September?

hello..

the weather is usually in the 60s or 70s...maybe a little cool for a swim, but beautiful. in sept/ oct....as far as foliage, it tends to be less than impressive on the island.

good luck!!

Get answers to your questions about Edgartown