We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to grocery shop?

Which Eastham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Where to grocery shop?

We will coming to Cape Cod from Ottawa, Canada on Sunday July 3 to a rental unit. We won' t be able to arrive at Cape Cod until later evening and I am wondering about grocery shopping for Monday morning. We are staying in Eastham. Are there large grocery stores nearby or should we build a stop in on the way down? Are prices that much higher than off the cape? (probably not for us, since Canadian grocery stores are usually more expensive than in other American cities we've shopped in). Many thanks.

conn
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to grocery shop?

Yes, Stop and Shop (large chain) I believe is open 24/7. It's near the Orleans rotary just off Route 6. This is the next town over from Eastham. It's behind Wendy's restaurant.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to grocery shop?

My husband and I stayed in Eastham the first week in June and shopped at Stop and Shop twice. It's across from the Orleans Inn, also there's a liquor store in the same shopping center, that's kind of a plus. The prices didn't seem inflated at all.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to grocery shop?

Thanks for your replies. I'll look up the Stop and Shop.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to grocery shop?

Thanks for your replies. I'll look up the Stop and Shop.

South Hadley
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to grocery shop?

There is also a nice mid-size market called "Friends Market" on Main Street in downtown Orleans.

It is probably locally owned, prices are a tad higher than Stop and Shop, but they have an interesting deli, a great wine selection (many are inexpensive), and you can get through quickly when you need to pick up groceries in a hurry. I usually buy the first groceries from Stop and Shop, but then during the week go to Friends for smaller grocery orders.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to grocery shop?

There are also a number of fish markets nearby. Shaws/Star Market at Skaket Corners in Orleans has a nice fish counter as well...and they have weekly specials with good turnover of fish so it is not a bad place to find fresh fish at a decent price. Phoenix Fruit and Vegetable in the center of Orleans is great for produce. If you are staying in North Eastham you will find a number of smaller markets that work well for picking up a few things at the last minute. The Superette on Rt 6 across from the town green in Eastham has a great deli counter and will grind meat for you. There is a liquor store next door to the Superette.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,521 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to grocery shop?

And since you shouldn't go grocery shopping on an empty stomach I suggest that you dine out for breakfast. Regulars, what's your favorite Eastham and/or Orleans breakfast spot for the OP?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to grocery shop?

This is an old post so the OP has been and gone a long time ago, last summer in fact. But maybe someone going this summer will find it useful. We like the Hole in One in Orleans and the Homeport.The Hearth and Kettle in Orleans also does a good breakfast. Lots of people like the Hot Chocolate Sparrow too.

Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to grocery shop?

Geesh, I totally missed that! Guess it's time to start looking at the OP date.

In any event, since we stay home for breakfast :-) I can't personally recommend places. However, the Fairway (run by the Hole in One folks) in Eastham, Laura and Tony's in S Wellfleet and PB Boulongerie all come recommended by friends.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to grocery shop?

We don't usually go out for breakfast either but the places I mention serve breakfast at least through the lunch hour so sometimes I choose from the breakfast offerings if we are there for an early lunch.