We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new york
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic

Hey there CapecodCharlie et al:

What can you tell me about the traffic coming into the Cape on a Saturday. We are about 6 hours away. We could leave Friday night but not until 4pm and after a full day of work for my husband. If we leave on Saturday around 6am. we would hit the beginning of the cape around noon. Any suggestions? We are if you remember going to Dennis Port.

Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic

Friday is the worst, as most people are going to the Cape for the weekend. Saturday shouldn't be too bad.

Newington, CT
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic

We're coming in on Friday 8/18. Leaving CT around 10AM, plan on having lunch on CC. Staying at a motel in South Yarmouth Friday night, heading to the rental house on Saturday afternoon. I would think Saturdays would be pretty congested 'cause most of the rental homes book Sat-Sat.

We may extend our vacation and spend that last Saturday back in a motel. Therefore, extending it from 7 nights (in the house) to 8-9. :-)

Can't wait.

Naomi :-)

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,626 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic

Until this season we always flew into Providence. By the time we left the airport it was generally about 1 or 2PM. Traffic was always light all the way into Dennisport which we made in about an hour and three quarters. You'll be taking that same route by the time you get that far I believe. You might want to consider your check in time and work backwards from there. And then too, you are on vacation. Why strip your gears to just to arrive tired and cranky a few hours earlier?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic

In my experience, if you can get to the Sagamore Bridge by (or better yet, before) 10 AM on Saturday morning, it's a tolerable drive along the Mid-Cape Highway. In recent years, I've done that by leaving NYC before dawn (which also means the traffic along lower I-95 in NY & CT doesn''t put my teeth on edge), but when my son came - and he is not an early morning person like me -- we would leave after an early supper and stay along the way, e.g., North Kingston, RI or Seekonk, Fall River, or New Bedord, MA.

If neither of these ideas are attractive possibilities, then do schedule your arrival time at the Bridge for 3 PM or later to reduce your odds of being on the road with all the other weekly renters; as minivanmom says, virtually all Cape rentals run Saturday-Saturday. Of course, you can always stop & pass some time at the flagship Christmas Tree Shop just off the Sagamore Bridge, a deservedly fabled, kinda upscale "odd lots" kind of place :-)

Get answers to your questions about Dennis Port