We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach at Swan River

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beach at Swan River

Hi All,

I am thinking of renting a house on Baker Way in West Dennis . It is on a private beach right where Nantucket Sound meets up with Swan River.

Does anyone know how the beach is in this area. My kids hate seaweed and rocky beaches. Is the sand soft and relatively rock free?

Thanks!

doreen

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach at Swan River

Many of the Nantucket Sound beaches are loaded with seaweed and have rocky bottoms. A lot depends upon wave action after storms and such, but rocks and seaweed are a fact of life on the Cape.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach at Swan River

I can't attest to the possible seaweed/rocks at this beach, but I can tell you the name of the beach is South Village Beach, and as you stated, it's a private, residents only beach. It looks small, but certainly nice enough from what I was able to dig up for you. As you know, Baker Way is mere steps to this beach. Here's the link with pic for you to decide.

morebeach.com/cape-cod-beaches/south-village…

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach at Swan River

South Village Beach is not very rocky and doesn't usually have a seaweed problem. Do a google image search of South Village Beach Dennis and you'll see some good pictures.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach at Swan River

The sw and rocks does depend on the weather but I have it on good authority that it is always wet. Hope that is ok with the kids!!!

Hadley...
Level Contributor
799 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach at Swan River

I have not been to that beach but I have been to the beach directly across Swan River and there were no rocks there and it was very nice. There was no seaweed there either but that doesn't mean there won't be when you are there.

I think this is a nice location and being able to walk to the beach is the best. There is often seaweed at the Atlantic Sound beaches. If you want to be assure of a seaweed free beach you will have to go to the Cape Cod Bay beaches which are fantastic. The water is colder that the water at the beach you are looking at.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,940 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach at Swan River

Hi Doreen,

Are you renting the white, 'house in the round' right on the beach? If so then that's a terrific location. This is one of our favorite local beaches. Be aware that, while the beach that goes with the house is private, on a good beach day there will be many folks walking by, just not spreading their blankets there. I've noticed that renters bring their dogs and keep them on the private area that goes with that house.

If you are renting something else around the corner then let me know as I will have additional comments.

This is a particularly fun location for the kids who love to swim and play in the river which is like a swiming pool (though with a current) at high tide. At low tide the river flows out to sandbars (almost flats) and you can walk out for quite a way.

This is a great location I think. Besides the question about whether the rental is the round house, what other options do you have?

Nothing is better than being right on the beach imo.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
427 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach at Swan River

We stay at a house on Old Wharf Road very near there every summer. Rocks aren't a big issue though there are some big shells that wash ashore and can be hard on the feet at times. Seaweed is a day to day issue. Some days perfectly clear, other days "mungy". You can usually just walk to a section that's more clear when the mung & seaweed washes in. It's all good though. It's the beach!!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,940 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach at Swan River

There are some 'catch' areas for seaweed and this beach is not one of them. I feel badly for folks staying at some condo type accommodations just each of Swan River as it seems that all the seaweed in the area accumulated in their little cove and up onto their beach. The property obviously does nothing to clean the beach. I wonder what the renters must think. It sure is a shame.

Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach at Swan River

oh I bet it will be lovely...some of the houses in that area are really seedy tacky so check well..otherwise what a lovely area..

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
12,940 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach at Swan River

Hey there Doreen, Did you decide on the Dennisport house? Anything else you'd like to know about the area? Are you planning on doing any cooking/grilling at 'home'? You 'll be able to see one of the best fish market's in the area ...Swan River Fish Market. Lots of casual dining and take out options which might suit your family.