We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chatham to Logan Airport

Which Chatham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
80 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Chatham to Logan Airport

I got some advice already from the Cape cod forum but I'm trying to really peg down a time to leave Chatham on Wednesday, August 8 from the Captain House Inn back up to Logan to drop off our rental car and then head to the South Station to catch the Acela train to NYC. I have been warned about the traffic in the morning and getting caught in it. I would like to get to NYC by 3 or 4:00 p.m. If you were me what time would you leave Chatham? Thanks in advance for any help

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chatham to Logan Airport

There is an Acela at 11:10 that gets in at 2:40 and another one 12:10 - 3:45. I would leave Chatham between 6 and 6:30. That should give you enough time to get through traffic, return the car & get transportation to South Station. With luck, you'll make the 11:10, and if not you can take the next train.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chatham to Logan Airport

I would leave Chatham about 8 AM, which should get you to the Boston Metro Area around 9:30 - hopefully after rush hour. With luck, you should get to the Airport around 10 or 10:15, which should let you catch the late morning or early fternoon Acelas.

Leaving at 6:30 will guarantee you hitting rush hour traffic and the timing is all wrong anyway.

Edited: 11:18 pm, April 29, 2012
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,050 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chatham to Logan Airport

you are going to hit traffic coming from the south no matter what time you leave, especially after leaving Rt. 3 on to Rt.93. Also, not sure if you are travelling alone, but if you are not, you can use the HOV lane between 6am - 10am on 93.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chatham to Logan Airport

Call your rental to see if you can drop the car at or around the 128 Westwood train station. Even if you have to drop it at the deham hilton, that would be a five minute cab ride and better then going to Logan.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chatham to Logan Airport

How would they then get to South Station for the Acela?

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chatham to Logan Airport

I know the acela has stopped at 128 in the past. Are you trying to tell me it does not stop their any longer?

Even if the acela does not stop there, it would be worth taking a regular train.

Edited: 8:01 am, April 30, 2012
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Chatham to Logan Airport

I just realized that perhaps the Acela does stop at 128 Station. Hadn't thought of that.

Edited: 8:02 am, April 30, 2012
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chatham to Logan Airport

Yes, the Acela stops at Route 128 Station. Good idea, financialwiz!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,112 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chatham to Logan Airport

There is a Hertz rental office at the 128 Westwood Station according to Google. If you haven't arranged for your rental yet, you might want to consider them. There are other companies in Dedham but not at the station and a couple of exits away. There is an Avis at the Holiday in on 95//128 and Rt. 1.

Easton...
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chatham to Logan Airport

Thanks 128