We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-Winter Getaway Advice

Which Chatham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Mid-Winter Getaway Advice

I have decided to book the Captain House Inn for a long weekend in February. Besides relaxation, does anyone have any advice as what we can do during the day? Is there a town area with shops? Are they open this time of year? A walk on the beach sounds good....is there outdoor skating available anywhere? .

Also, how about a fun place on a Friday or Saturday night for a drink after dinner, maybe with music. We go for anything from jazz piano to a band. One night will be a casual, laid back meal and one a bit more of a special occasion to celebrate my husbands birthday.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

Barb

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mid-Winter Getaway Advice

Lol! The only thing I'll want to see around 4 will be my pillow. Late afternoon naps are what vacations are for.. Dinner is usually around 8ish!!

12. Re: Mid-Winter Getaway Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, November 29, 2010
Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mid-Winter Getaway Advice

I should caution you, before you get too excited about staying in Chatham and dining in Orleans mid-winter. There are two routes you can take. The most direct, scenic route which takes about 20 minutes, is 28 south (yes I know you must go due north from Chatham to Orleans...but you must take 28 south) along Pleasant Bay. Unfortunately, this may not be the safest way to go as the road is winding and tends towards black ice patches. If you were taking a drive mid-day, then this would be the way to go, but for an evening drive at that time of year you might be better off taking the longer, but more traveled route, Rt 28 North to Rt 137 to Rt 6 East. This route is a bit longer, distance wise, but the entire drive will take about the same time and you will be on well traveled, fairly straight roads...some even have street lights! LOL in any event, we want to make sure that you get to Orleans and back to Chatham safely.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mid-Winter Getaway Advice

Thanks, Yellowbird. I will keep your advice on hand when we go.

Barb

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,283 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Mid-Winter Getaway Advice

Again, after dark whether summer or winter, Ocean House illuminates the beach/surf with powerful spotlights. One would only know about these lights if they dined at this restaurant because you certainly would not expect that but it is good to know if you don't like to eat an early dinner.

However it is really those in the window seats who get the view. If you make a reservation for the dining room and they don't have a window seat for you then you can ask them to check the window seats in the lounge as well. It's the same dining. You'll see what I mean if you go there. Bon Chance!

16. Re: Mid-Winter Getaway Advice

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

17. Re: Mid-Winter Getaway Advice

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Mid-Winter Getaway Advice

I saw that, too. The inn recommends Sol Spa. Does any one have any opinions?

19. Re: Mid-Winter Getaway Advice

20. Re: Mid-Winter Getaway Advice