We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother/Daughter Getaway Itinerary?

reno, nevada
Level Contributor
56 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Mother/Daughter Getaway Itinerary?

Hi,

My Mom and I are planning on doing a getaway at the end of September, the 24th thru the 29th or 30th to be exact. I was thinking of staying in Chatham at the Chatham Bars Inn, going to Nantucket-White Elephant, and then to Martha's Vineyard-Winnetu Resort. Is this the way to go? And how many days would you stay at each? She is 69 and I am 44. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are going to dine (and wine), sightsee, and shop. Thank you!

reno, nevada
Level Contributor
56 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mother/Daughter Getaway Itinerary?

We thought about Vermont too..can you see the changing of the leaves on the Cape as well though. If this sounds like a stupid question, it prob is, but I ve never been there. Should I look into Vermont?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mother/Daughter Getaway Itinerary?

There are hardly any stupid questions. You will not see the type of foliage on the Cape as you would in Vt. But, that is not a reason to change your plans. If you are not going to have a car, a trip to NE is very difficult. Lots of time wasted on buses and then you can't get anywhere once you arrive. There is some transportation on the Cape but very little in the northern regions of the area.

Atlantic Coast
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Mother/Daughter Getaway Itinerary?

I am one of those who thinks you really need a car to fully explore the Cape, but I don't think it's feasible to do any kind of N.E. trip without a car. Unless you take a Tauck Tour or something, which is actually a very nice alternative.

You might think about just flying into Boston, spending a few days there, then taking the ferry from Boston to Provincetown to get a taste of the Cape.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mother/Daughter Getaway Itinerary?

MM

You don't need a car to fully explore the cape, you need a lifetime.

But for short trips a car certainly helps!!.

BTW, I passed both Mac's and wanted to compare but the lines were so long at each that we had to pass. Another thing to do when I get back. (sorry for the small hijack)

Edited: 5:39 pm, August 10, 2010
reno, nevada
Level Contributor
56 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Mother/Daughter Getaway Itinerary?

I like your answer...you need a lifetime..Isnt that the truth! I am just trying to make this as easiest as possible for my Mom and myself..so that's why we would fly into Hyannis-she doesnt like to drive and neither do I when I am not familiar with my surroundings..We are flying from Dallas, so we just want to get ther and RELAX..that's why I thought of making Chatham our home base and just go from there. I hate to be committed to plans when we have never been there and just go with the flow...?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mother/Daughter Getaway Itinerary?

Bling

at that time of year, driving really is not a problem even for those not familiar. There are 3 main roads on the cape. 28 is the most commercial especially between Hyannis and Dennis, Rt 6 is the high speed road which runs right down the middle but turns into one lane around Chatham and continues to Provincetown and 6A which has less commercial activity, is very quaint and is closest to the bay. At the end of these roads, they all converge as the Cape is not very wide towards the lower cape area (Provincetown, Truro, Wellfleet)

Get out a map and check it out. or put a gps in your car. There aren't alot of cabs in Chatham- only one 1 saw was the shuttle to the beach. You are going to want to get out of Chatham besides going to the ferry.

You will really miss much of the cape if you insist on not driving.

Atlantic Coast
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Mother/Daughter Getaway Itinerary?

bling15: Oh, don't be intimidated by the Cape's roads at all! The Cape has a few main roads and a whole lot of small, sandy lanes that meander along. You can't get lost on either. Well, as long as you don't pay any attention to the road signs, you won't get lost. You read that right...roads going North are marked West, southbound roads are marked east and westbound roads should lead to the bridges but other than that it's a breeze! Getting lost while driving on Cape Cod is one of the most wonderful things to happen to a visitor, imo.

neslaw: Macs is on the list!

reno, nevada
Level Contributor
56 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Mother/Daughter Getaway Itinerary?

Is there a problem with flying from Boston to Hyannis? Also. like I said, we just want to get there and not be in a car driving after flying all day...thanks so much for all of your input..it is greatly appreciated! ;0

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Mother/Daughter Getaway Itinerary?

Boston to hyannis is not a problem. Getting to chatham is the problem. 1/2 hr in a cab. Have no clue as to cost and then how do you get around.

Atlantic Coast
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Mother/Daughter Getaway Itinerary?

Boston to Hyannis is easy. Even Hyannis to Chatham is do-able. Once you're a guest of CBI they'll shuttle you to the downtown shopping and dining area.

I recall that CBI actually had offered access to a ferry to Nantucket or M.V. It was included in the CBI information on their website. Perhaps that'll work for you. I'll see if I can find it on the CBI website.