We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Box Office Cafe' in S. Chatham #1 Restaurant on the Cape?

Which Chatham hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Topic
Box Office Cafe' in S. Chatham #1 Restaurant on the Cape?

I was looking for addresses for a few restaurants we wanted to try this Memorial Day weekend and I couldn't believe it when I checked TA's Cape Cod restaurant reviews to see this:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g185492-Cape_Cod…

Box Office Cafe' is fine for what it is (ok pizza and sandwiches) but it isn't up there with the 'best' of the Cape's dining choices.

Anyone else wonder how these rankings work?

Atlantic Coast
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Box Office Cafe' in S. Chatham #1 Restaurant on the Cape?

The Box Office Cafe' #1 on the Cape? That's funny! They serve pizza and sandwiches, neither of which are particularly memorable. I don't want to put them down because they're a nice local business, but this does make me wonder about the restaurant reviews on Trip Advisor too. I'd be much more likely to trust the recommendation that comes from someone with more history on this site and I'd use the other recommended sources listed.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Box Office Cafe' in S. Chatham #1 Restaurant on the Cape?

I think TA does the best they can with the system they have in place for rating restaurants and hotels. As Bill Belichick likes to say, "it is what it is", and what it is is not perfect. It's just a 1-5 rating system based on user reviews for that particular restaurant or hotel. You see the same thing with hotels. For example, in Boston, the Holiday Inn Express located way outside the tourist area is rated much higher than the Eliot Hotel, right in town, and BY FAR the much better hotel in every aspect except one. Price. So yes, the travelers staying at the H.I. love it for what it is, a very reasonable place to stay when seeing Boston on a tight budget. Likewise, the Eliot suffers because people feel they didn't recieve the quality stay they were looking for at that price point. Does it mean the H.I. is the better hotel? Of course not. Same theory applies to the restaurants. Obviously the people who've eaten at the Box Office liked it for what it was, a place for good pizza and sandwiches. Should it be rated higher than some obviously much better places to eat in Chatham? Heck no, but "it is what it is" until/unless TA incorporates a whole bunch more criteria into their ratings system.

Atlantic Coast
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Box Office Cafe' in S. Chatham #1 Restaurant on the Cape?

Hmm. The hotel reviews on trip advisor have the added cache of photographs. Pictures don't lie even if the reviewer embellishes or omits information. Photos of food don't help at all so hotel reviews have this edge of credibility on Trip Advisor.

I empathize with the others' disbelief:

Having stopped by for a quick pizza slice or sandwich or muffin I can safely say that Box Office Cafe' is clearly Not the best restaurant on Cape Cod. If this is the best TA can come up with as a #1 restaurant on Cape Cod then perhaps it would be better if they were to stop listing reviews altogether. It's very misleading information I have to say. Their system does nothing to support the great restaurants on the Cape such as ABBA, Ocean House, Mews, Cafe' Edwige, etc.

Maybe the solution is for those in the know about the truly great restaurants on Cape Cod to post reviews of their favorite places to eat. I guess I'll just use Zagat as my guide for now.

Thanks for your input, Will007. I found it very interesting and insightful.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Box Office Cafe' in S. Chatham #1 Restaurant on the Cape?

If TA were to implement a new ratings system down the road, my suggestion would be as follows;

Hotels:

Categorize each Hotel Class with all hotels of the same class together. 5 star hotels on down the line. Then use the traveler reviews within that specific class to rate the hotel... #1 on down the line. That would make the hotel ratings system much better since the ratings wouldn't be listed #1 to # however many hotels that town or city has altogether.

Motels don't have rating system so they get listed all under one umbrella like TA uses now.

Bed & Breakfasts: It's a known fact that the more expensive B&B's tend to offer a more luxurious, overall better stay than a place some $100 cheaper to stay at. So list them by average cost of a stay per night. Or, they could just stick with the #1 to whatever rating system like they use now.

Restaurants would be a little tougher. I guess you could categorize them something as follows;

Fine Dining

Upscale Dining

Casual Dining

Budget Dining

Family Dining

Something like that to break them up into their own seperate categories and then rate them based on diner reviews within each category.

I dunno, something like that, lol

Edited: 12:20 am, May 30, 2010
Atlantic Coast
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Box Office Cafe' in S. Chatham #1 Restaurant on the Cape?

Restaurant reviews could also be listed in the same way they're listed on menupages.com which is in categories by meal, cuisine, location. The 'star' ratings are included with written reviews. This 'star' system is in place on menupages but there isn't a #1, #2, #3 rating system ranking disparate restaurants nor similar restaurants. So, in this case, Box Office Cafe' might be listed with 4/4 stars under the category of 'pizza' or 'sandwiches' or whatever and would have no impact on the 4/4 star rating of AbbA or Ocean House. What exists on TA now is incomplete and basically useless for my purposes.

16. Re: Box Office Cafe' in S. Chatham #1 Restaurant on the Cape?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 27, 2010