We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changed to Dennisport

Level Contributor
377 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
changed to Dennisport

Wasn't able to get the room I wanted at the Captain House Inn In Chatham on the weekend we are visiting. Have rented a guest house in Dennisport for my husband and I. We need recommendations for restaurants .Love seafood and also need a breakfast place. Have checked out the list of restaurants but wondering if any that aren't listed or in a closeby town recommended. With the off season choice seems slim.

Thanks

Hadley...
Level Contributor
817 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: changed to Dennisport

Ocean House, excellent, high end.

Oyster Company very good, moderate cost

Scargo Cafe, love it

Old Yarmouth Inn, excellent food.

Buckies for Breakfast

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,296 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: changed to Dennisport

What days are you coming to the Cape? Note that you can get a full (prix fixe) dinner for $24 or $26 at the Ocean House and Oyster Co however check the dates. OH is now open only Wed - Sunday for example. Both have websites.

The Breakfast Room in Dennisport - www.breakfastroomcapecod.com. Buckies website is www.buckiebiscoti.com. Get some fudge or terrific salt water taffy or, best of all, the handmade chocolates at Stage Stop candy on Rt. 28 right across from Benny's....a must do!

On the north side of Dennis there's The Marshside, Lost Dog Pub, Scargo Cafe, Blue Moon Bistro all of which were open in off season last year. There's a big menu at Clancy's on Upper County Rd and a friendly bar area. Open for lunch and dinner and with a view of Swan River.

In Harwich, the next town over, really try to get to Bonatt's. We especially like their lobster eggs benedict and raspberry stuffed French toast but you can also get their signature melt away sweet bun which they created in 1939 as a take away on the bakery side. Other restaurants open on Main St/Rt.28 in Harwich will be The Mason Jar, Hot Stove Saloon, l'Alouette, then Buca's Tuscan Roadhouse a bit farther east but still on Rt. 28.

Then there's lots of options on Main St. in Hyannis plus The Naked Oyster up across from the mall.

Let us know if you need more suggestions in other towns.

Level Contributor
377 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: changed to Dennisport

Thanks for the recommendations. Going to the Caoe the last weekend in Oct.

Thankyou !

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: changed to Dennisport

You'll have a great trip.

We love Inaho in South Yarmouth for great sushi, tempura, bento boxes, sake.

Ardeo on Main in Hyannis is a fun place with a pretty good menu, great apps. and an outstanding martini menu.

Clancy's is consistently awful with terrible service. Avoid.

Harry's is a local dive bar in downtown Hyannis (I mean this in the nicest way possible; we love it there) with great bands, mostly home grown.

Come to Chatham for lovely baked cod fish at The Squire or The Impudent Oyster. If Pisces is open on Rte. 28 between Forest Beach Rd. and Pleasant St. in S. Chatham, that would be nice for you!

Have fun!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,296 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: changed to Dennisport

It's true that Clancy's has been named the best mid cape FAMILY restaurant every year for the last 12 years and so the wide menu from raw bar and nachos to seafood and steak or salads and big sandwiches may not be sophisticated enough for a couple of New Yorkers. http://www.clancysrestaurant.com/Menu/

But you might enjoy the fun bar scene with raw bar items and lots of finger foods, even pizza to nibble. And, it will be open when you are there. If you'd like a more narrow list of restaurants just give a bit more detail about what you are looking for as there is a wonderful variety of restaurants nearby where you are locating. You'll have a tasty holiday.

Level Contributor
377 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: changed to Dennisport

I enjoy small, family run restaurants with reasonably priced ,consistently good food. Bonatts has really bad reviews with the new owners. Clancy's, I was told to avoid. Prefer not having to go far for breakfast,lunch,or dinner. Have taken into considerations all of the responses and I really appreciate it. Any other recommendations that weren't mentioned?

Level Contributor
377 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: changed to Dennisport

Our guilty pleasure is full bellied fried clams/seafood. With the off season wondering where to go for these nearby?

Thanks

Hadley...
Level Contributor
817 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: changed to Dennisport

Seafood Sam's Rt. 28 South Yarmouth and My family's favorite is Cooke's on Rt. 132 in Hyannis. Both have very good clams, fish etc.

I am not a Clancy's fan either. But it is packed a lot. Go to The Oyster Co. and Buckies in Dennisport or Dennis Village for Breakfast or lunch. And like I said before Scargo Cafe in Dennis and also the Marshside. You can get excellent fish in all these places.

Martha

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,296 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: changed to Dennisport

Martha, we learned about Clancy's when we bought our house in Dennisport and had to be on the Cape in the off season to set it up. For us the best is the fact that, even in off-season, their kitchen stays open until 10PM. You New Englanders eat a lot earlier than that I know but many nights we'd be coming back from buying things for the house in Hyannis, not leaving there until 9, and we were thankful that we could pick up their Irish Dip or one of the dinner salads until as late as 10. We still go from time to time for take out and that's because we don't want to wait with the crowds that you mentioned to get a table when our deck will do just fine.

Connecticut Yankee
Level Contributor
6,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: changed to Dennisport

NewYorkChubby: I'm not a fan of Bonnatt's either.

For full bellied fried clams, try the Squire (uneven reviews, but the codfish and clams are Always good) on Main Street in Chatham. You'll love it.