We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Chatham for us

NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
Is Chatham for us

Hi - my boyfriend and I would like to spend 3-4 nights up at the Cape in mid August. We plan to go from Sunday to Thursday.

We are in our mid 40's and will be celebrating his birthday - won't have any children with us.

I am trying to decide what area of the cape would be best for us and then which accomodation. I already know I don't want to venture all the way up to Provincetown. Want to stay in lower, mid or outer cape.

I'd prefer a quieter spot, romantic - some nice dining, and that is about it. I know the Cape is far from quiet in August, I know there will be traffic and lots of kids and families there at that time - - but some Inns do cater to an older clientel and older kids such as the Captains Inn in Chatham.

Just trying to explore all my options. Anyone have any other ideas or places to suggest?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
The Old Harbor Inn
The Old Harbor Inn
#1 of 9 B&Bs / Inns in Chatham
Chatham Inn At 359 Main
Chatham Inn At 359 Main
#1 of 9 hotels in Chatham
Captain's House Inn
Captain's House Inn
#2 of 9 B&Bs / Inns in Chatham
Marco Island, FL
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Chatham for us

I know of a Bed and Breakfast Inn in Harwich Port (next town to Chatham) called Dunscroft by the Sea. It is strictly "no-children," is on a quiet street and is very romantic. I have been there and it is very nice.

Mentioned in this post
Harwich
Harwich
Cape Cod, MA
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Chatham for us

Friends of ours have also stayed at Dunscroft and enjoyed it. it is on a quiet street but an easy walk to the center of Harwich Port which has several nice restaurants.

Chatham is a lovely town with more shopping and more restaurants. Several good restuarants include Vining's Bistro and the Impudent Oyster.

Brewster is another town you might want to look into. It's on the Bay Side along route 6A where there are B&B's, antique shops, and nice restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Harwich
Harwich
Cape Cod, MA
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Impudent Oyster
Impudent Oyster
1,303 Reviews
Chatham, MA
Brewster
Brewster
Cape Cod, MA
NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Chatham for us

Hi and thanks very much for the great suggestions!

It sounds like we can't go wrong with any of these options.

But I am still confused about all the choices nonetheless. :)

I did order the book by Karen Grant that someone else suggested, but I am anxious to book my stay - since

we are looking at four nights in August - Sunday to Thursday.

I guess I am trying to take into consideration a lot of traffic and what area is easiest to stay in and will involve the least amount of driving.

Ideally it would be great to walk to the beach - I don't mind if the surf is rough or calm, the beach is the beach to me - if it has sand, I am there. :)

It would also be great to be able to walk into town for dinner one or two nights but I am also not against driving. Just wanted to try to avoid searching for parking spots for a lengthy period of time if at all possible. I have frequented the Jersey shore a lot in the Summer and at times it is impossible to find a parking spot at the beach.

Ideally we would like to stay someplace that is not overcrowded with nothing but families composed of small children. I love kids but it seems certain spots are much more geared to children and programs for small kids vs, other places so I would definitely prefer the latter.

Ideally I'd also like a pool - but I realize not every place has a pool and it won't make or break my decision. Also rooms with a fridge for a few bottles of white wine to chill would be great too.

Lastly it would be great if there was a 2-person jacuzzi in the room, I know that is a tough one to come by, but I would love that as we both have bad backs and it is so relaxing to soak in a jacuzzi on vacation.

I know i am asking a lot - but hopefully we can come close to finding most of these things.

The places I am considering are;

CHATHAM

Captains Inn

The Carriage House?

Wayside Inn

EASTHAM

The Whale Walk Inn

Ocean Edge?

BREWSTER

Brewster by the Sea

HARWICH

Winstead Inn and Beach Resort (would stay at Inn)

Dunscroft by the Sean

Mentioned in this post
Jersey Shore
Jersey Shore
New Jersey
The Chatham Wayside Inn
The Chatham Wayside Inn
260 Reviews
Chatham, MA
Brewster
Brewster
Cape Cod, MA
Winstead Inn And Beach Resort
Winstead Inn And Beach...
295 Reviews
Harwich Port, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Chatham for us

I love Chatham, and think it is nearly ideal for you. Good, central location, but lots to do in Chatham. Lots of coastline, many different beaches, good main street, etc. Have you considered the Cranberry Inn? It's a wonderful location and a nice place. There is a big pond in the backyard, and yet it's easily within walking distance of both the main drag stuff, and (in the other direction) Lighthouse Beach and the lighthouse. No pool, but I think the rooms are nice.

Mentioned in this post
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Chatham for us

Thanks! The Cranberry Inn is on my list as well - left that one off. :)

So it is within walking distance of restaurants and the beach as well? How long a walk?

Thks again!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Chatham for us

Dunscroft has a beach at the end of the road (a few minute walk). It should not be crowded since there is parking area. My husband and I walk down the street in the summer. We have a house near by.

I believe Ocean's Edge is in Brewster if you need to look it up.

I don't know a lot about inns since but two of the msore upscale resorts are:

Chatham Bars Inn - www.chathambarsinn.com

The Wequassett Inn - www.wequassett.com

I didn't look at the rates but they are probably as high as they go on the Cape.

Perhaps the problem is that many regulars who post on this board live on the Cape either part time or year round.

Mentioned in this post
Brewster
Brewster
Cape Cod, MA
Chatham Bars Inn
Chatham Bars Inn
1,907 Reviews
Chatham, MA
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club
Wequassett Resort and...
751 Reviews
Harwich, MA
Hartford...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Chatham for us

Just to clarify my last statement - we don't have first hand knowledge of the inns unless af friend or relative stays at one.

usa
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Chatham for us

The Wayside Inn is smack dab in the middle of downtown Chatham on the main street. The Cranberry is also on the main rd just a bit further down from the shops and closer to lighthouse beach. Chatham is not that big but, if short walks are in order either one may be a good fit. The Wayside is really more of a hotel than an inn. However, it does have a pool and jet tubs! The Whalewalk and Brewster By the Sea are either in a neighborhood or off Rt. 6. We were not bothered by any traffic noise during our stay at By the Sea but found it hard to walk places(beach) with no sidewalk and cars whizzing by.

Mentioned in this post
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
The Chatham Wayside Inn
The Chatham Wayside Inn
260 Reviews
Chatham, MA
Brewster
Brewster
Cape Cod, MA
Cape Cod...
Level Contributor
3,348 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Chatham for us

I have Kim Grant's 2007 book in front of me. If this helps I'll write a few of her recommendations that seem to hit the towns you are considering. She has rated some of the ones you are interested in, but not necessarily her first choice. Keep in mind that she lists her favorites, in order of preference, first in each category. Perhaps this will help you to decide if you want to wait for her book to arrive before you book. It is only January so I doubt it will hurt to wait a week, although I too like to get the job done will in advance!

Here are her picks in order of preference for each town and category you are considering...

Chatham:

Resorts: CBI, Wequassett

Hotel: Wayside (only one listed)

B+B: Captain's House, Bow Roof House, Cranberry Inn

Eastham:

B+B's: Fort Hill Bed and Breakfast, 700 Samoset, Whalewalk Inn +Spa

Brewster:

Inns: Bramble Inn, Chillingsworth, Old Sea Pines

B+Bs: Captain Freeman Inn, Old Manse Inn, Brewster by the Sea

Harwich:

B+B's: Blue Heron Bed and Breakfast, Lion's Head Barnaby Inn

Guesthouse:Winstead Inn & Beach Resort, Seadar Inn By-The-Sea

Mentioned in this post
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club
Wequassett Resort and...
751 Reviews
Harwich, MA
Captain's House Inn
Captain's House Inn
1,228 Reviews
Chatham, MA
Eastham
Eastham
Cape Cod, MA
Chillingsworth
Chillingsworth
279 Reviews
Brewster, MA
Captain Freeman Inn
Captain Freeman Inn
459 Reviews
Brewster, MA
Brewster
Brewster
Cape Cod, MA
Harwich
Harwich
Cape Cod, MA
NJ
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Chatham for us

Thanks very much - I really appreciate that!

Sounds as though a lot of people really like Kim Grant's book and find it very helpful!

I am glad I ordered it, can't wait until it arrives! Do you feel she gives better reviews of properties compared to Fodors and Frommers?

I've often relied on Fodors and Frommers in the past when I've planned trips to the Caribbean. But once in a while I've found their reviews to be a tad outdated and therefore a little inaccurate - but they can't return to all those resorts every year!

Thks again for response!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America