We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive from brewster cape cod to niagara falls?

Which Brewster hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
miami
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
drive from brewster cape cod to niagara falls?

I was wondering if anyone knew if the drive from cape cod to niagara falls is a scenic drive? We are not sure whether to drive there or fly there from brewster. We are happy to drive if the drive is scenic ( I heard its 9 hours?). Any information would greatly be appreciated. Thank You!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,736 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: drive from brewster cape cod to niagara falls?

We have been driving this route every year for over 30 years and, yes, it is about 9 hours depending on how much you stop etc. It's not a particularly scenic route and a lot of contributors to this forum will tell you that it's boring. Rte 6 to 495 then Mass. Turnpike to New York State Thruway, all highway driving and very straightforward. However, it is pleasant through the Berkshires in Massachussetts just before you join the Thruway. Coming from Florida I'm sure that you will enjoy the mountain scenery. There's quite a lot of history along the Thruway and it is interesting if you have the time to stop and explore. If you decide to fly you will have to go to Boston to get a flight to Niagara Falls or Buffalo.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive from brewster cape cod to niagara falls?

I would plan on 10 hours at the very least, and possibly 11, depending on traffic. While there are some very pretty areas along the Thruway, it's still a major highway.

When you get to the Buffalo-Niagara region, if you take I-290 into Niagara Falls, the landscape is quite ugly and depressing, with oil refineries and power lines all around. The more pleasant approach takes a bit longer -- take the Peace Bridge to Fort Erie, Ontario, and continue on to the Falls.

Also, if you plan to go to the Canadian side of the Falls, factor in what will probably be a very long wait at the bridge (assuming you're traveling during the summer). And if you go into Canada, you will need a passport or a birth certificate & government-issued photo ID to get back into the U.S.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,736 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: drive from brewster cape cod to niagara falls?

We have driven from Orleans to Mississauga, Ont. in 11 hours with only a minimum of stops for gas etc. which is why I agreed that it was about 9 hours to Niagara Falls but added that it depends on how much you stop. It could easily take 11 hours or so to Niagara if you stop for any length of time to eat etc. I think if it were me I would opt to fly. These days we do the journey over two days. Mississauga to Albany the first day and the rest of the journey the next morning. Returning home we drive to Syracuse and drive the remaining approx. 4 hours to Mississauga the next morning.

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive from brewster cape cod to niagara falls?

We used to drive from Buffalo to West Harwich in a single day (and sometimes still do), but as we get older, it's getting harder and harder to make the long haul nonstop!

miami
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: drive from brewster cape cod to niagara falls?

Thank you so much for your feedback! It seems we may need to fly then, as with an infant and a not so scenic drive, we may go crazy! Again, thank you for your feedback and time :)

Buffalo
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive from brewster cape cod to niagara falls?

We made the trip many times with our boys, and it was especially difficult when they were babies. There is a long stretch along the Thruway where there are no rest areas, and that's a problem if you need to make a diaper change or the baby needs a break from the car seat. Flying might be the best bet.

7. Re: drive from brewster cape cod to niagara falls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, October 05, 2009