We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday afternoon in St. Michaels

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday afternoon in St. Michaels

Hi, I have passed through St. Michael's a few times en route to Tilghman Island, and it looked so cute. I'm planning an overnight trip (staying on Kent Island) next month and wanted to spend some time in St. Michaels.

I will only have Saturday afternoon in St. Michaels. I have read through some posts on the forum and checked some of the area websites, but I was hoping to get some feedback on specific questions and any general advice from people who know the area. In general, I plan on walking around town (I found the self guided tour online), checking out the waterfront area, and maybe going into a few shops or other attractions.

My specific questions are:

1. Is street parking difficult to find (or with a short time limit) on Saturdays in June? If so, are there parking garages/lots available?

2. Are there any places you would recommend for shopping? I would be particularly interested in places that are unique and/or have moderately priced art. Antique shops are not of interest.

3. Is St. Michael's Winery worth a visit and tasting?

4. Are there any attractions I should not miss [Note: My preference is being outside when the weather is nice, so I don't really want to spend time in historic sites/museums unless they offer a unique experience]?

5. Are there any places you would recommend for a light and quick snack/lunch? I would be looking for someplace casual, preferably on the water. I would be fine with takeout or snack type places instead of a sit down restaurant (just don't want fast food chains). I read more about some of the restaurants recommended in other posts and reviewed on TripAdvisor, and while several of them (Key Lime Cafe. Ava's Pizzeria & Wine Bar, Bistro St. Michael's, 208 Talbot Restaurant & Wine Bar, and the Crab Claw) sound like places I would like, given my time constraints and plans to have a big dinner that night, they are not exactly right for this situation.

Sorry about the long post, and thanks in advance for any feedback!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday afternoon in St. Michaels

Was in SM for about an hour today. There is plenty of parking in public lots. There is some bridge construction just before town making the bridge 1 way with a light to control traffic that slowed things down a little heading in to town but was not a problem heading out of town.

SM is very compact, just start walking down the street and checking places out.

There are galleries but I just don't remember the names.

Have not been to winery so can't comment.

Things to do- sit outside by the water and have a drink relaxing.

Also, there are a number of pub type and sandwich shops along the main st. Just walk into one when you get hungry. There is no place I would pan.

No chains in town (that I recall). It really is not that hard to explore in an afternoon.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday afternoon in St. Michaels

Thanks for the response. It is useful to know about the construction, and I''m glad that you think that my plan to spend a few hours in St. Michaels is feasible. I'm looking at this as just getting an overview of SM. I'm close enough that I can always go back another time for a daytrip or weekend,

Maryland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday afternoon in St. Michaels

I think you will have a great time in St. Michaels for a few hours. Parking shouldn't be a problem for you. There is street parking along Talbot Street, as well as a small lot right on Talbot street (it will be on your right as you enter town...right after the Markethouse restaurant). As far as shops go, there is some art on the bottom floor of the Calico gallery. Some of the other cute little unique stores have art as well. If you're looking for unique, fairly inexpensive jewelry, definitely check out Silver Linings. It's all sterling silver jewelry and most of it is one-of-a-kind.

As far as restaurants by the water go, I would recommend St. Michaels Crab and Steakhouse. It is located right at St. Michaels Marina and they have tables that sit right on the water. There is also the Crab Claw restaurant which is on the water (it is right next to the Maritime Museum) but it tends to get crowded...so I'd go with the Crab and Steakhouse. If you just wanted to grab a burger, there's Foxy's Marina Bar which is also located at St. Michaels Marina and sits right on the water.

Let me know if you have anymore questions or concerns!

Level Contributor
35,236 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday afternoon in St. Michaels

Hi there! We loved St. Michaels when we were there this past Nov. We were staying at The Tidewater Inn in nearby Easton and made easy day trips to St. Michaels from there. I would go to the museum there, you could lunch at the Crab Claw, it's very good. I would also recommend the Key Lime Cafe, it is a cozy little venue with great food and service. We had nt problem with parking.

Yes, I would go to the winery, it is very nice and our pourer was so friendly and informative. I have a review of the winery posted on this site with a few photos if you're interested. You will love St. Michaels! Try to find a place to sample the Smith Island cake while you are there, it is the official dessert of Maryland. We had it at Sugar Buns Bakery but they may have closed since then. :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saturday afternoon in St. Michaels

Boatergirl and Syrahgirl,

Thanks for your responses. Silver Linings and some of the other shops/galleries sound great. I didn't even think to check for reviews of the winery, so thanks, Syrahgirl, for mentioning that (also the recommendation from a CA person who is obviously a wine lover, makes me feel confident about the winery; I have had some pretty bad wines in MD wineries). I'm going to have to make some tough choices about how to spend my afternoon!

6. Re: Saturday afternoon in St. Michaels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 30, 2010