We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route From DC to Rockville

DC
2 posts
Save Topic
Best Route From DC to Rockville

I was looking for the shortest route to Rockville, MD from Glover Park in DC. With highways, Mapquest told me to go 495-N to 270. However, without highways, it says that my street (Wisconsin Ave NW) becomes MD 355 N and just stay on that for a while until I turn onto W Gude Dr.

From what I hear the highway traffic is miserable so do you think the non-highway route is the way to go? Thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route From DC to Rockville

Hopefully you realize that Glover Park is not anywhere near 495. You'll have to do about seven miles of driving through the city and close-in suburbs before you get to 495. So you'll be facing a lot of non-highway driving whichever option you take.

The real question comes If you're doing this in afternoon weekday rush hour (other times shouldn't be a problem following highways), it's really a case of picking your poison in deciding whether to take River to 495 (as per Mapquest) or toughing it out on Wisconsin/355.

While 495 is typically backed up on that relatively short stretch between River and 270, I think you're still far better off following the highways, especially to north Rockville where you're headed, even if you wind up averaging perhaps 25 mph. Wisconsin/355 has a *lot* of chokepoints (Chevy Chase, Bethesda, southern parts of Rockville) along the way, in addition to traffic lights.

DC
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route From DC to Rockville

Yea, that makes sense. I guess I'll give the highways a try. If you had to guess would you say 30-40 min or even more than that? I'm trying to get there by 8:30 AM and leave around 5:30 PM. Thanks again for your help!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route From DC to Rockville

Under perfect conditions, you're looking at 30 minutes to get from Glover Park to the northern part of Rockville (355/Gude area). But you will never find perfect conditons.

I'd figure 40 minutes in morning rush hour as you will encounter some Beltway traffic and reverse commuters. If you have a meeting for which you absolutely can't be late, I'd give it an hour.

4. Re: Best Route From DC to Rockville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, September 10, 2009