We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Location/Transportation Arlington-Rockville

Georgia
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Location/Transportation Arlington-Rockville

A group of 3 will be arriving At Reagan Airport Friday, July 20. We will be doing a 5K at Roosevelt Island on the morning of July 21 and an 8K in Rockville at 7:30 that night. Please advise me on a hotel/ best area and transportation.We will leaving late Sunday, July 22. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Rockville
Rockville
Montgomery County, MD
8 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,620 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Location/Transportation Arlington-Rockville

What time is your flight in that Friday and flight out that Sunday? What are your additional plans after arriving on Friday, between races on Saturday and before leaving on Sunday? Ultimately that will determine whether a hotel in Arlington, Rockville or even Washington would be best suited for your trip, as well as the best way to get around the area.

Knowing your hotel budget, number of rooms and bed configuration will also help.

Focusing solely on the races, I'd lean towards getting a rental car for the weekend for easy access to TRI and the ride to Rockville. By car, Rockville and Arlington/TRI aren't all that far apart on a Saturday (about 30 minutes). With reduced schedule frequency on weekends and the need to change trains, you could be looking at over an hour via Metro subway.

More info?

Edited: 7:33 am, April 09, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Rockville
Rockville
Montgomery County, MD
Georgia
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Location/Transportation Arlington-Rockville

We arrive at Reagan Friday at 12:50 Friday and will depart on Sunday at 4:00. We will need one room with two queen/double beds. We have no definite plans other than the 2 races (working on doing a race in each state), but are considering staying in DC within walking distance of the monuments/attractions.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
8,296 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Location/Transportation Arlington-Rockville

I don't know that there will be car parking at Roosevelt Island if hundreds of people are showing up for a race. Take a taxi, which to me means pick a hotel in Washington or Crystal City or Rosslyn (you can even walk to the Island from Rosslyn and from the Kennedy Center.

There are hundreds or hotels to choose from. Maybe you'll like the Marriott Rosslyn-Key Bridge. It's near the Metro and Roosevelt Island, and a 10-minute cab ride to DCA (the airport).

Fun fact: You can only get your car to Roosevelt Island by going northwest-bound on the George Washington Parkway (a car-only highway that is only in Virginia, not DC), so you have to enter the parkway going north from the Roosevelt Bridge (I-66) or the Arlington Memorial Bridge or the 14th St Bridge (I-395).

When a vehicle leaves the parking lot later on, the only way into Washington is to go 3 miles north on the GW Pkway, then exit left to the Spout Run Parkway, then make a U-turn about a mile down that road, back on to the other direction of Spout Run Pkway, which goes back into the southbound GW Parkway for exits to Rosslyn, 66, Memorial Bridge, or 14th St Bridge, plus everywhere else in Arlington. There are signs saying that, but they always seem to people like mistakes because they point you seemingly in the wrong direction, but their goal is to get you to that U-Turn.

Edited: 2:47 pm, April 09, 2018
Mentioned in this post
George Washington's Mount Vernon
George Washington's...
4,070 Reviews
Mount Vernon, VA
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Location/Transportation Arlington-Rockville

Assuming you'll get to Roosevelt Island by taxi for the reasons stated above and will want to return to your hotel-room base after Saturday morning's race, I think you should be looking in downtown DC near the Red Line. That means Dupont Circle for upscale, Hotel Harrington near Metro Center for budget scale. The latter is also convenient to the blue/orange/silver line to Rosslyn.

If it would be consistent with your pre-race warmup, consider getting to Roosevelt Island via dock-less bikeshare, like MoBike. https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Dupont Circle
Dupont Circle
330 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Hotel Harrington
Hotel Harrington
1,462 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
60,177 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Location/Transportation Arlington-Rockville

I like the recommendations you received above ( and on your thread on the DC forum) to stay in Rosslyn. You can walk to Roosevelt Island in 10 minutes.

Georgia
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Location/Transportation Arlington-Rockville

Thanks for your help!

Georgia
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply