We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel question from Dulles VA area

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Travel question from Dulles VA area

Hi:

we usually come down the last week in August, Sat to Sat. This summer, we have a family thing on Sat Aug. 23 near Dulles, VA. So we booked a Sunday to Sunday stay, instead of Sat to Sat, and we will be coming from VA instead of Northern NJ on Sunday morning 8/24. Mapquest say 3 hours and five minutes.

I havent come down on a Sunday morning before, or from VA. Would I be correct to assume that traffic should be less than on a summer Saturday? Any tips or hints as to timing on crossing the Bay Bridge, etc?

Thanks all

stuckinnj

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel question from Dulles VA area

also, it says to take 50==>404 ==>113==>90 - does that make sense (i might go from 113 to 54 to 20 since we are staying North, but does the rest make sense - i.e., is 50 more out of the way but faster than the suggested way?

Westminster...
Level Contributor
420 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel question from Dulles VA area

50 is a little longer mileage wise - but you can usually make pretty good time since it is a dual Highway - you can get stuck behind slow traffic on 404. I have gone both ways - if I am staying in North OC I usually go through Delaware - I think It's 50-404-113-23-20-54 into OC at the state line. I think the Delaware route is more scenic and relaxing.

and yes Sunday Morning heading east should be light traffic

Edited: 9:58 am, May 18, 2014
pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel question from Dulles VA area

We take 50 all the way in, taking the Salisbury bypass around Salisbury instead of through downtown, and then take 90 at the split instead of going into town on 50. You avoid a whole lot of traffic downtown that way. 90 brings you out on 61st St. so depending on where your check in location is, you could save yourself some time......and headaches.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel question from Dulles VA area

404 is hit or miss. I have gone back and forth as to whether it's worth using. I usually make a snap judgement to take 404 and more times than not I regret it. If you're traveling anytime close to peak times, then it's best to avoid it. There are some lights that snarl traffic and if you get behind a slow driver you're stuck. However, when it's smooth sailing I have made some great time. I always take it back home when I leave at 5 AM and drive straight to work on a Monday or Tuesday morning.

And if you do take it, do 50/404/13/Redden Road/113/54

404 merges with 13 for a bit, and then 404 continues on east. Redden Road is the left turn before the 404 split and it's lesser known and used, and it connects with 113 a couple of miles faster than 404.

5. Re: Travel question from Dulles VA area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, May 21, 2015