We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant suggestions for a tricky food allergy?

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant suggestions for a tricky food allergy?

Hello everyone. I'm a long time visitor of Ocean City but could use a little help.

Tomorrow I'm coming into town until Sunday with seven friends (4 adult couples). One of the guys in our group has a very limiting food allergy. He is allergic to all foods in the nightshade family (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers (including the spice paprika) and eggplant) as well as coffee and chocolate.

We will be bringing some food, but I'm trying to think of places he can go to eat where they will have something he can eat. I'm sure the nicer places like The Shark, Hooked (haven't been yet but hear good things) and Liquid Assets would accommodate his dietary restrictions, but are there any lunch type places anyone can suggest? It's rough for him because so many of the things he can't eat are hidden in everyday foods you wouldn't expect them to be in.

Thanks!

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant suggestions for a tricky food allergy?

Oh my. That is a tough one. If there was more time, I'd say ask the Ocean City Insiders for answers. Personally, I'm going to be honest and say I don't know. I know Brianna's Bananas or Rosenfeld's Jewish Deli (they're new) might be your best options. I know Happy Jacks Pancake House has a lot of gluten free dishes.

Just looking over Rosenfeld's menu right now.........I think this might be a really good option for him. They're located on Coastal on 63rd St. They are open for breakfast at 7:30 till 9 p.m. daily.

Also, Anthony's Take Out Roast Beef on 17th or 16th St. has fabulous sandwiches and they're only one block back off the boardwalk.

I can't imagine how hard this is for him. Best of luck and have a good time.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
440 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant suggestions for a tricky food allergy?

I don't think it will be too hard to find sandwiches without tomatoes or peppers.

I would also think a hamburger anywhere would be fine, without tomato, fries or potato chips of course.

He won't be able to eat anything fried in oil that french fries have been in, so watch out for that. So no fried chicken or onion rings.

I have to eat gluten free, so am used to making special requests and inquiring about ingredients. Avoiding nightshades is easier than avoiding gluten when eating out. I'm sure he knows what is not likely to have nightshades, and what he'll be able to order. Because this is not the usual allergen, it would help if he brought a written list of foods to avoid, to show the waiters and cooks.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant suggestions for a tricky food allergy?

Briana's Bananas no longer exists.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant suggestions for a tricky food allergy?

Eat seafood at the crab shack at 164 ???? ( dont quote me on the address) but they have awesome crabs and crab dip etc

Phoenix
Level Contributor
440 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant suggestions for a tricky food allergy?

Crabs might be seasoned with paprika, so he'd have to be careful. Old Bay seasoning has paprika in it.

6. Re: Restaurant suggestions for a tricky food allergy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 07, 2014