We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to ocean city

Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
driving to ocean city

We are driving to ocean city on Sept 14th Saturday. I was wondering what the.town closest to the bay bridge is called..the reason I'm asking is I was thinking of maybe leaving Friday and staying over night somewhere ..then getting up Saturday and heading to O.C. Then we would only have about a 2 hour drive which I'm thinking might work better traveling with a 2 year old

akron, oh
Level Contributor
56 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to ocean city

we stay overnight in salisbury the night before our vacation in OC. you will then have 30 minute drive to the beach. several good chain hotels to pick from.

akron, oh
Level Contributor
56 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to ocean city

just re-read your question. the town just this side of the bay bridge (ocean city side) is grasonville. beautiful area right on the bay. i know there is a best western and a holiday in express there. also several good seafood places. not knowing where you are driving from, i suggested salisbury because rooms are less expensive and only 30 minutes from the beach. just did the 8+ hour drive with a one year old so i know the planning necessary to survive the drive!!! either way, it is all worth it in the end. :)

Albany NY
Level Contributor
476 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to ocean city

As mentioned above, the town on the Eastern Shore is Grasonville. In addition to the hotels mentioned above, there is also a Hilton Garden Inn and a Sleep Inn. I have stayed at the HIExpress and the Hilton Garden Inn -- the Hilton was nicer, but the HIExpress was fine as well. You can walk to restaurants from both of these.

The Sleep Inn will require you to drive if you want to get something to eat, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

The potential problem with these hotels is that they might require a 2-night minimum on the weekends and might get a bit pricey.

If you will consider a longer drive on Saturday, you might want to consider the HIExpress in Hanover, MD. My brother and his family are actually staying there on 9/13 on their way to Ocean City. It is a bit over $100/night and is near Arundel Mills, a big mall that will give you something to do Friday evening.

From the HIExpress to the Bay Bridge is probably 30-40 minutes. I've stayed at this hotel numerous times. It has free breakfast and there is a Denny's attached if you really need something to eat in the middle of the night.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to ocean city

We hit the Grasonville'Kent Narrows area many time during the summer or also when heading down to OC.

It's a nice area with bayfront restaurants like the Jetti, Red Eye Dock Bar, Big Owls and the Fishermens Inn. There are a few hotels nearby (Hilton, Best Western and the Holiday Inn) and I would recommend the Holiday Inn, as we stayed there this past summer. Also just a mile down the road and a little cheaper is the Sleep Inn. Both the Sleep Inn and Holiday Inn have free breakfast in the morning.

Any other question please ask me.

5. Re: driving to ocean city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 29, 2014