We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OC Visit in August

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
94 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
OC Visit in August

I am looking for an affordable condo with two or three bedrooms for my husband and myself my two daughters and one grandson who is two years old. I found a place at the carousel on the eighth floor unit 803 has anyone stayed there before? Also I was reading that there has been a lot of beach erosion at the carousel and that when high tide comes in there isn't much beach left can anyone speak to that?

Essex, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: OC Visit in August

I can speak in general about the beach erosion - Sandy took away some of the width of the beach - it's more noticeable the further north you go.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OC Visit in August

I've stayed in a couple of the condos at the Carousel and they were large and nice. The higher you go, the better the view. But I will say this about the condos in OC. The less you pay, the less nice they are. So if the pictures look real nice and the price is cheap, look elsewhere.

As for the beach erosion, yes, there was some. The city is trying to get the beach refurbished, but it takes time. I was there a few weeks ago and the beach was pretty narrow compared to what it used to be in that area, but still plenty of room.

The one drawback to staying up there is the number of people. You are right in the center of the high rises which means PEOPLE! And that means crowded beaches and long waits for the elevators. Sometimes it took us 20 minutes to get to our room from the lobby and then we were jammed in like sardines. But if that's not an issue to you, then I think you will be very happy there. There is an indoor ice skating rink and they have skates available in all sizes, there's a game room, and you're close to good restaurants and the grocery store. There are also little children's rides in the atrium like you find in the malls.

You are not close to the boardwalk and will have to drive there or take the bus.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OC Visit in August

The beach from my balcony in April looked fine on 14th street. For condo realtors check

Holiday Real Estate (www.holidayoc.com)

Coldwell Banker (www.cbvacations.com)

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
94 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: OC Visit in August

I am not thrilled about crowds at all, so do you guys have any suggestions as to how to get a nice clean condo, at a good location? I was avoiding staying down close to the boardwalk as that too gets crowded and there are a lot of partiers that hang down that way. The north end is quiet, and family friendly which is what we want. We are paying about $1200 for a 2 bedroom oceanfront for Fri - Mon stay, 8th floor ocean front. Since we are bringing our 2 year old grandson, it is very important that it be a very clean environment. Aug 16-19. I was considering looking for a suite hotel that had 2 bedrooms, but don't know where to begin to look. Any help would be appreciated!

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OC Visit in August

I think Momoo put a scare into you about condos and I think she exaggerated a little.

The Carousel location is fine but yes you'll have to travel to get down to the main part of the boardwalk at the inlet for rides, games and so forth

The Carousel is a fine condo just like the many up in the northern end of OC. The beach gets full down by the inlet just as it does on 100th st. Late July/August is peak season so expect some crowds and get to the restaurants early and you'll be fine.

I just did a search on www.cbvacations.com and put in your dates.

I found many nice condos even cheaper than $1200.

9400 building, Pyramid (which I stay at) and the Golden Sands are a few I would recommend.

Edited: 1:47 pm, May 16, 2013
Ocean City
Level Contributor
338 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: OC Visit in August

I like north OC; we are in a highrise building there and have not been bothered by crowds or long waits. Yes, there are people on the beach; I enjoy watching the children and people playing on the beach/water, so that doesn't bother me. Vacationers there tend to be nice family groups. I've never had trouble finding a place to settle in at the beach. Peak weeks are July and the first 2 weeks of August, and I tend to avoid those. The crowds drop off dramatically in mid August (why rates drop), as MD schools open end of August and families want to be home to do forms/get set up for school. Sometimes there may be a few minutes wait for an elevator; again, that doesn't bother me, I usually chat up the other people and we have a pleasant wait. You might want to look at the VRBO site; can read reviews by prior guests, view pictures and ask questions of the owners. Resort Rentals (www.ocvacations.com) is a smaller rental agency that screens the properties they manage, have been pleased with them. People like different things; that's why it's nice to have a wide variety of places to choose from. Late August - September is my favorite time to go, water is warm, weather is nice and crowds drop off.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OC Visit in August

Not putting a scare into her T, just being honest and my personal experience. My own preference (at age 61) is midtown between 35th and 82nd Streets. We've always stayed at the Sungate on 77th St and that is a beautiful buidling. The area is less crowded and quieter, plus the buildings are all much smaller. Last year, we couldn't get the Sungate and took one next door at the Jamaican Sun. The pictures were beautiful, but reality was not. When we checked in, the place was filthy. But that doesn't mean that all of the units in that building were like that. We were just unlucky. Best advice is to ask your realtor for any personal experience with whatever property you choose.

The Atlantic Oceanfront Inn on 45th St. has 2 bedroom units, as does the Clarion, the Princess Royale, and the Quality Inn Suites on 33rd. The Clarion also handles the Marigot Beach condos next to the hotel. They are very nice. Plus, there is another option. Call the Carousel and see if their beach house is available. It's a stand alone beach cottage and is lovely. It's only a few steps off the beach, one house back.

In the meantime, here are some realtor sites that you might not have checked yet.

Long and Foster www.lfvacations.com

Vacation Rentals by Owner www.vrbo.com

Holiday www.holidayoc.com

Shoreline www.shorepro.com

North Beach www.northbeachrealtors.com

Vantage www.vantageoceancity.com

Macungie...
Level Contributor
84 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OC Visit in August

The Elevators at the carousel cam be slow during the season. No doubt about that any one who has ever stayed there knows that. As far as beach erosion goes after Sandy it was Bad but after the last few day trip it has become less noticeable and by August I doubt you will notice and difference from Past years, Delaware and New Jersey took more of a hit than Maryland did. Midtown will be less crowded but it is still not deserted by any means. Beach+August=Crowds

Somerset, NJ
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: OC Visit in August

I've stayed at the Fountainhead (next door to Carousel) the last two years during the 1st week of August and never found the beach overly crowded in that area.

Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OC Visit in August

Check out the Antigua (www.antiguaoc.com) on 85th street. We've rented two separate condos over the last three years and have thoroughly enjoyed the property/location. This August will mark our 4th straight year staying there.