We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Va. Beach or OC late October

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
6 posts
Save Topic
Va. Beach or OC late October

We have rooms for 10/21 and 10 /22 in ocean beach.We are sightseeing. First time on the eastern shore. Both of us are 60, but in good shape. DC forum responses make it seem that Va. Beach would be a better choice. Any thoughts?

Itinerary so far:

DC. 10/16-10/21

OC 10/21-10/23

Williamsburg. 10/23-10/26

Charlottesville. 10/26-10/27

10/27-10/29. 2 nights not booked ( any suggestions )

DC 10/29 for flight home on 10/30

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
114 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Va. Beach or OC late October

Not sure what you are asking? Are you asking which is better place to go for beach? Late October will be too cold for either VA Beach or Ocean City to be sitting on the beach or going in the water (unless you happen to be in training for the polar bear swim in January).

Please elaborate more what you're asking or looking for...

california
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Va. Beach or OC late October

Not going for the beach, just to sightsee. Interesting towns, historical sights,etc, and my wife wants to see the ponies.

Thanks for the reply! This is a great site.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Va. Beach or OC late October

Well, the days you're in OC will be during Restaurant Weeks, so you'll find some great deals on meals. The boardwalk will still have some shops and restaurants open, but they will close by 5.

Some things you can do are to visit the Life Saving Station Museum on the boardwalk at the Inlet. Visit nearby Berlin or Snow Hill for history. Take the walking tour of Ocean City and see some of the historic buildings and be sure to stop in City Hall. There are lots of pictures of old Ocean City.

On the 21st, you can go to OCtoberfest on the beach. It's a beach maze with Halloween displays, music, and activities from noon to 9 p.m.

Visit Assateague Island and see the famous wild ponies. There is a free zoo in nearby Salisbury. Go golfing. Play mini golf indoors at 68th or 136th Streets. Rent a bicycle or surrey and ride the boardwalk.

Museums:

Calvin B Taylor Museum/Berlin

Furnace Town Living Heritage Museum in Snow HIll

Julia Purnell Museum in Snow Hill

Ward Museum of Wildfoul Art in Salisbury

There are nearby wineries and breweries to visit:

Fenwick Wine Cellars in Selbyville/Fenwick Island

Burley Oak in Berlin

Shopping at Tanger Outlets in west OC

That's just some things you can do. Hope that helped a little.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Va. Beach or OC late October

Well, assuming you're going to cross the bay via the CBBT on your way to Williamsburg from OC, you will be very close to VB anyway, so maybe do a day at both.

I'll also second a stop in Berlin and/or Snow Hill. Chincoteague is also worth a visit if you have time.

If you were possibly considering driving straight to VB instead of OC, you would miss the ponies and all the DELMARVA sites mentioned.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Va. Beach or OC late October

Quite honestly neither place is a must see in October when you could spend more time in Shenandoah area. If I were to head to a beach area in late october would consider either cape may, nj or Duck/Corolla in NC. NC is certainly closer and you have the ability to see the wild ponies there. All of the beach communities will be closing up for winter but think that outer banks is the more scenic place.

california
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Va. Beach or OC late October

Thank you to all for the replies. I guess UVA has a football game or something on 10/26-10/27. Will now be staying 2 nights in Charlottesville on 10/21 and 10/22. Can we drive from DC via Shenandoah?

After CW, drive to outer banks, spend the night in the area. Drive to OC then back to DC.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,069 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Va. Beach or OC late October

you can get to skyline dr (SNP) but far from most direct route for dc to Charlottesville. you can map it yourself. I think OBX for a nite, then driving to OC is just a complete waste of a day- but its your trip.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Va. Beach or OC late October

Honestly, I'd spend the extra night in Charlottesville/ Skyline Drive. It's a great area with so much to check out. It's not that I don't love OC, it's just that all that driving for one night in late October isn't really worth it IMO.

It's easy to spend three days in Charlottesville between UVA, Monticello, all the fabulous wineries, downtown C-ville and all the great hiking and drives along Skyline drive. Plus that's right around peak leaf time, so the colors should be great.

If I was to spend a day in OC in late October I'd do the following:

- Assateague, pay the entrance fee for the national park and do the life of the forrest train and the life of the bay trail. I'd only attempt to do the life of the dunes trail if there was a hard frost recently, otherwise the mosquitos will be out for blood.On a side note- bring bug spray.

-Head into OC and rent bikes for the boards. It's a fun way to pass the miles.

- Drive up rt. 1 and check out downtown Rehoboth and Lewes, DE.

- Eat at Liquid Assests, Crabcake Factory, Catch 54 ( especially at sunset) or Dogfish Head in Rehoboth.

9. Re: Va. Beach or OC late October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 15, 2013