We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose a boardwalk hotel, please!

SF
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help me choose a boardwalk hotel, please!

We are coming in from out of state the first week of Aug. to see family and want to start out with a week in OC first. We are a couple with 2 kids, 6 & 11. We want to be close to the rides although we would have gladly picked Holiday Inn but it is over $400 night! Here is what I've found so far:

1.Comfort Inn and Suites on the boardwalk at 5th street Oceanfront Room on 4th floor with 2 queen beds and a sofa sleeper($1996.99)(problem may not have microwave? but like the queens instead of doubles)

2.Commander Hotel-14th street-Oceanfront requested 7th floor, Suite 2 doubles and a sofa sleeper ($2205.07) (problem: smoking on balcony not allowed? Reviewers here on this board say they did but hotel says no!? couldn't stay here if couldn't sneak a smoke on the balcony)Like they have full sized fridge and 2 TVs.

3.Park Place Hotel-2nd street-Oceanfront 5th floor Suite 2 double and a sofa sleeper cheapest at 1819.79 but not too sure about the tiny tiny pool-kids really like the pool more than the ocean. Gets good reviews but has small fridge too?

Can anyone please recommend any one of these or another place? Anyone ever smoke on the Commader balcony without trouble? It "looks" the nicest but is $400 more than the park place.

Also, our flight gets into BWI at 4 so we would rent a car and drive down on that same day. Is there any kind of shuttle or alternate transportation to take instead of us driving?

Thanks so much in advance for any and all replys!

SF
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me choose a boardwalk hotel, please!

Found one more; the Tidelands Carribean is $2048 for a 2Q with Sofa Sleeper Ocean Front and has 2 nice looking pools?

Any opinions? Thanks.

alexandria
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me choose a boardwalk hotel, please!

Haven Hotel at 1st and the boards.

2 queens, sofa,jacuzzi,effc.

$1725.00

www.havenhoteloc.com

Hotel is only about 3yrs old.

We are booked there from the 7/31-8/5.

Right in the middle of all ther action on the boards. Only draw back is no pool, but hey who needs a pool when the ocean is right there.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
654 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me choose a boardwalk hotel, please!

Since you specified you wanted one on the boardwalk: Eden Roc 20th and boardwalk/ mix of room type, some are oceanview,some have a side view, but the hotel itself is on the boardwalk. Hotel Monte Carlo- 3rd and Oceanside/ a few steps to the boardwalk / Paradise Plaza- 9th and boardwalk/ drawback is a TINY pool in an inconv. place/ Spinnaker -18th and oceanside/ good pool/ not fancy/ Sahara- 19th and boardwalk- not fancy either. The Tidelands you mentioned is a nice hotel and certainly in the "hub" of activities. Also try the Days Inn on 23th and boardwalk. The boardwalk ends on 26th St. but there are many nice condos, apts and hotels that are oceanfront from 27th St on down { endless choices actually]. Also many are oceanside, which means the building does not face the ocean or boardwalk but they are located on the down one of the side streets. There would be no streets to cross and most balconies have a side ocean view. It may expand your search a little and save you a little $. Just ask if it is ocean block and what the view is. Google Ocean City Maryland Chamber of Commerce and hit the link for accomodations. There really is no other way to get there except to drive. That is prime vacation time there so expect backups on the Bay Bridge [ since you are leaving the airport after 4pm it should be some better}. Check with someone in the know and have them give you both routes down there -Rt 50 or Rt 404. Both can have their issues. Good Luck and have fun

SF
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me choose a boardwalk hotel, please!

Thanks so much for all of your tips. I've ruled out the Commander and the Comfort Inn. Now I am down to choosing between the Park Place and I found a condo for about the same money but it is farther down around 15th street.

My kids are not great walkers so I was really leaning toward the Park Place since it is so close to the amusements. However finding a condo with a real kitchen (big frige!) is a big temptation but they only have a small indoor pool. I don't know what Park Place's pool looks like but a pool is a necessity. I thought the Haven looked nice but no pool so it is out, thanks for the tip though

Please, help me decide! Is it really far walking the 14 extra blocks to stay at the condo? I've read that getting the tram in that area is tough because it will already be so full. I've heard if we are at Park Place it may be really noisy at night too? Also, with the condo, we would be able to pack up food for the beach and make meals for breakfast and such but on the down side, we would have to pay extra to have linens and towels provided and then be really committed to a whole week. The condo seems kind of sketchy too although it looks nice enough on the pictures, I wonder why it is still available at this late date.

If we do the whole week, that leaves us only 9 days to see the relatives in the Inner Harbor and go over to DC to sight see there. We would head up to Balto on Sat and do the stuff at the inner harbor like the aquarium, science center, Ft. McHenry, see a ball game(staying at the Rennaisance) and then move over to Embassy Suites in DC leaving on the following Monday. How does this sound? Any other tips?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
654 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me choose a boardwalk hotel, please!

Vacations are a lot of work!!!! The thing about Ocean City is that the walk on the boardwalk is part of the fun. There are stores, food places, vendors, sand sculptures on the way down to the inlet area, so staying on 15 th St. I think would be fine. Even though the rides are at the end [ at the inlet], the walk down is not that far. Of course with small kids the walk back is tiring. Also I doubt you would be going down to the inlet area every evening. There are other amusement parks, go-karts, mini-golf and other fun stuff along Coastal Hwy. right there in Ocean City,so the chances are you would not be spending all of your time right on the boardwalk anyway. Park Place would be noisy. That part of he boardwalk is packed all night long. Since there are stores and vendors [ poss a bar with music? ] underneath of the hotel it might be noisy. I guess it would depend on how thicks their walls are. When my kids were that age I always went for a condo. Having that separate BR and full kitchen was well worth it. If you end up staying a week, everyone needs some "down time" and that would give you that space. Since you will be down there in prime time you will have to commit for a week, unless they haven't been able to rent it for that week and then they might rent it to you for less then that.there is train that runs up and down the boardwalk you can get on and off of. Then there is a shuttle bus that all the way down Coastal Hwy from the inlet down to the MD/DE line around 140th St. You pay 2.00 for the whole day. Both are crowded that time of year- esp in the evening/ dinner times etc. What is the name of the condo you looked at- maybe I am familar with it? Probably 9 days would give you plenty of time in Balto and DC. 2-3 days in Balto and 3 days in DC and that would leave you travel days. Hope this helps.

N.Y.
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me choose a boardwalk hotel, please!

Hi, we just returned from a stay at Park Place, Ocean City. We went for an escape get-a-way for Easter weekend. This was our first visit to O.C., so I cannot help you with your other choices, but I can tell you about Park Place.

Traveling with my husband and me, were our children, 2 sons ages 4 & 7, and daughters 15 & 24. (Another daughter, 20, stay home, as she was scheduled at her job.)

Normally when we go to the beach, usually Myrtle Beach, we get a suite because of the size of our family, but since it was only for a weekend, I didn't feel it was necessary. Our priorities are the hotel must be clean and safe.

We stayed in room 515, smoking, with a bay view balcony. The room had 2 double beds, a pull-out sofa, small coffee table, a table with 2 chairs and an in-room safe. The kitchen area was a very short "strip kitchen" (probably no more than 4 feet in length) with a small fridge, a microwave, a small sink, and a coffee maker. I did notice a tray with silverware and 2 plastic coffee mugs, there may have been plates and such, but I didn't notice. There is NO stove top for cooking, only the microwave.

The hotel, our room and the bathroom were very clean and pleasant smelling. The staff was friendly... what little interaction I had with them. There is a small video arcade. The pool was not open yet, nor was the outdoor deck dining. The pool is located on a deck above the parking lot, and is on the bay side, (street side) so although you can see the bay... at a distance, you would not be over-looking the ocean, only the parking lot and street. We had a breakfast, and a lunch at their resturant, both meals were satisfactory.

We thought the location was great and did walk to the amusement rides. (I don't know the names of the company's but if you walk a little farther than the rides in direct view from this hotel, there is another amusement area and the rides are much better.)

Overall, we liked this hotel and it deserves high remarks. However, I personally would not stay here for more than a couple of days... NOT due to anything being wrong at the hotel, but because of the size of my family. (It is rare that my older children are able to vacation with us these days with college and work but usually the 15 year old has a friend in tow... as if I don't have enough kids, hehe.) When we go to the beach, we usually stay for at least a week, and stay in a 2 bedroom / 2 bath oceanfront suite, with a full kitchen and a washer/dryer unit in the suite. (I'm not sure any of the hotels in O.C. have these accommodations.) We really did miss the space and extra bath. Also, if we want to spend time at the pool, I want to still be able to look out and view the ocean... otherwise I would stay home and swim in our own pool. ;o)

If you chose this hotel, be sure to ask for a smoking room as there is no smoking allowed even on the balconies of no smoking rooms.

Hope this helps and have a great time.

SF
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me choose a boardwalk hotel, please!

Thanks so much for your posts! anga, The condo that I found was called Decatur but I called the agent today and she said the website made a mistake and it was only Sunday to Sunday rental so it won't work for us.

So much of what you said made sense though! Thanks for your help. I was thinking it would be a "Big deal" to be up so far but then realized that is only about a mile walk, right? From around 15 to the inlet? I checked out the places you listed for me in the first post and many are already booked up! When I started calling rental agents, they all told me I was too late as well-ugh!

sandpotato, I talked to my sis this am who recently stayed at Park Place and she hated it. She just got back this am from LV so I couldn't talk to her before this. She said their room was filty dirty, the drawers all sticky and when they took showers, it leaked 2 inches of water on the floor not because of the curtain either. Now I really don't know what to do! It sounds like you thought it was nice enough!! You said it was clean at least and we wouldn't be cramped since it is just 2 adults and 2 small kids.

We have an oceanfront/boardwalk view reserved and I was wondering if you think it will be noisy all night long? Did they make you send a check as a deposit? Park Place is weird too in that they won't take a credit card for a reservation, they want me to mail a check within 10 days! If I decide on another place, I bet it won't be easy to get that refund.

So now I have that reservation but haven't sent the check yet, plus the other 2, comfort inn and the commander and finally made one for the Holiday Inn at 17th street but it really is pricey. I really want to sit on the balcony and people watch the boardwalk and it doesn't look as though I can do that at the holiday inn if we end up high up but their pools are amazing looking at least on the website.

Any more thoughts? Tips?

N.Y.
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me choose a boardwalk hotel, please!

Hi, The Park Place Hotel was definitely clean. I travel with a can of Dow Bathroom cleaner and a can of Lysol, and DIDN"T need to use either. (Obviously, if I ever had to "scrub" the bathroom of any hotel, we'd just check out, but after inspecting the room, I have sometimes sprayed the bathtub and sink (just to be sure) with the Dow cleaner and then just rinsed it. I always clean the remote and spray door knobs, etc.) The kitchen "area" looked brand new, but like I said... it is a small under-the-counter fridge. Our bathroom was fine, including the speed at which the tub drained. I used the lobby bathroom once and it was clean, also. HOWEVER, I wasn't there in peak season and that could make a difference in our experiences, or maybe one of us was just lucky/unlucky.

The deck bar/dining wasn't open, so I never gave any thought to this being a source of noise. I did notice if your room is oceanfront on the 2nd floor, you wouldn't have a private balcony, as you step out of your room directly onto the shared patio of this dining area. If you chose this hotel, be sure to request a room on a floor other than the 2nd level.

I did use a debit/credit card to make my reservation, but I made it on their web site, but I always call the hotel directly first to be sure there are rooms available... who knows how often they update.

The Park Place is a nice, small hotel. I'm just not sure it is what you're looking for because of the small fridge and lack of stove and oven. I was interested in the Holiday Inn Suites, too, but for Easter weekend they required a minimum stay of 3 nights... we were only spending 2 nights. Also, we just spent 10 days at Disney World in February, (here in New York, the kids get a week for winter break, too) and for the type of money the Holiday Inn gets per night, I'd expect more of a "resort" with loads of amenities. The other hotels I considered besides Park Place and Holiday Inn, were The Grand and the Dunes HOTEL... not Motel, it is supposedly the 1st Hotel off the Boardwalk, so you can catch the Tram right close by.

I'm working on our next vacation, Cape May, NJ, in August. Let me know where you book.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
654 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me choose a boardwalk hotel, please!

Ocean City is VERY busy in summer, so I am sure things are tight already. Alot of people just re-book the same place year after year. Did you try several real estate companies. Try to google search ocean city realtors and try a few for help. If not just go with Park Place. Just look at it as an experience! The previous person thought it was an ok place. It's located where all the fun is. You can leave your car alone a few nights and do the boardwalk thing. I am sure you will have a great time. The other options is to go off the boardwalk and get an oceanfront condo.

SF
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me choose a boardwalk hotel, please!

Thank you both! I just decided to pay the premium and stay at the holiday inn on the boardwalk. From all the reviews here I don't think we will be disappointed. We are coming from so far away, I don't want to take the chance that the place will not be good especially since it will probably be a once in a lifetime type trip for my kids. The pools there look amazing and if it rains, they even have an indoor pool. At first I wanted to be closer to the action down at 4th but when I thought about what you said, I think it will be nice to be a little away especially since it will be the height of the summer. I will post back here after to let you know if I made the right decision! Thanks again for all of your input!