We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visitors - 2 Teenagers and Parents

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern VA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
First Time Visitors - 2 Teenagers and Parents

Hello -

We are taking our 15 and 16 year old to OC for the first time for the 4th of July. We are staying at Castle in the Sand.... up around 37th. This way the parents can have some "'quiet" and the kids aren't too far from the "action".

We are looking for GOOD places for dinner (not TOO expensive) that the girls will like as this is the "required" meal to have as a family. It can be at the boardwalk or anywhere within reason.

Husband and I are "foodies" and love a good meal..... especially those diners, drive in and dives type of places.

I would love any suggestions.

Thanks,

Eva

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visitors - 2 Teenagers and Parents

Harrison's Harbor Watch has good food, right on the inlet with great views of the boats coming and going. At night, the inlet is lit up and you can see the birds and bugs all lit up like little stars on the water.

BJ's on the Water on 75th St. is on the bay with ducks and geese always in attendance. You can dine inside or out, in the sunroom or in the bar area. Great steaks and shrimp, really good prime rib sandwiches, and their seafood skins are a must.

Fager's on 60th on the bay is another good choice. Casual or more formal dining, great views especially at sunset. Can't go wrong.

Buffet.........Horizon's inside the Clarion Hotel on 101st St. AYCE prime rib, crab legs, etc. If you want a buffet with whole crabs head for Phillips on 21st St.

A great little Triple D place is Anthony's on 17th St. Amazing roast beef and ham sandwiches cut and made while you wait (NOT lunchmeat!) Fried Chicken and other options as well. Huge servings on the fries and you can sit outside on picnic tables. Great place to eat during cruise ins and car shows.

New York
Level Contributor
653 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Visitors - 2 Teenagers and Parents

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g41298-d39…

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
114 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Visitors - 2 Teenagers and Parents

evalynn68 - not sure when you describe yourself as "foodies" if you're saying you like high quality/gourmet type cuisine or you like experiencing the out of the way type places that serve surprising good fare?

If you're looking for the high quality/gourmet type cuisine, and are accustomed to Northern VA places like Inn at Little Washington, Old Angler's Inn, The Palm, etc., there are very few restaurants in OC that fit same category.

If you're looking for the out of the way places, as previous poster mentioned, there are good places as he mentioned.

Don't mean to diss on OC restaurants, just understand you're in a resort area and not a major metropolis.

Northern VA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Visitors - 2 Teenagers and Parents

What I mean.... is we enjoy the "different" - doesn't have to be high quality etc.... but we live for finding those "out of the norm" places that has a specialty. The type of places that you would find on "Diners, drive ins and dives".....

We do enjoy high class also ----- but know that OC isn't the place for that.

Any suggestions?

Eva

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Visitors - 2 Teenagers and Parents

Crabcake Factory USA on 120th.

Grove Market on St Martin Neck Road over the route 90 bridge. Reservations are hard to come by.

The Frog Bar on the inlet. Great, and I mean GREAT burgers and cheap drinks. Awesome views...same as Harrison's but outside and MUCH cheaper.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Visitors - 2 Teenagers and Parents

On the Bay Seafood is great for crabs...gets really crowded though...

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time Visitors - 2 Teenagers and Parents

You will have fun at Castle in The Sand but "quiet time" will be hard to come by. Very active hotel complex, but I guess all things are relative. You will have a hard time finding any "quiet time" in Ocean City on the 4th of July, but I wouldn't want it any other way. Enjoy Coconuts...it is Castle's outdoor bar and grill. It's pretty happening in the afternoons.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time Visitors - 2 Teenagers and Parents

Liquid Assets

Nantucket

Has anyone been to Just Hooked in Fenwick- looks very good, just have not had a chance to get there.

Catch 54 and Lobster Shanty on Rt 54- not "foodie" level but good food and great views of bay.

some more answers

ococean.com/explore-oc/…multiple-questions

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time Visitors - 2 Teenagers and Parents

Those are all great restaurants but not exactly "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives" type places. The "foodie" comment contradicts the D,DI & D style places they are looking for, though.

I was also going to recommend Liquid Assets but thought it would be too upscale for what they were looking for.

Catch 54 burned down last fall and last I heard (a few weeks ago) it wasn't open yet but I could be wrong. However, it's a great place with excellent views. I hope they open soon while keeping the same charm from before.

EDIT: Catch 54 is open according to their website. Looks great too!

Edited: 11:34 am, June 26, 2012
pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time Visitors - 2 Teenagers and Parents

Frog Bar...........A++++++

If you drive into Bethany, there's a little place there called Hang Ten. It's next to the Five Brothers hamburger place. Homemade potato chips, amazing burgers and chicken, very simple and more of a diner feel.

Also, at the Francis Scott Key Motel in west OC, they have a diner onsite called the Rte 50 Diner.