We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do the locals eat?

Which Ocean City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennyslvannia
Level Contributor
41 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Where do the locals eat?

We're headed camping down in Assateague in March. Looking for casual, reasonably-priced restaurants in the area to grab some breakfast and dinner. Nothing fancy or touristy, just good, fresh, tasty food. Any suggestions? I'd love to find out where the locals go to grab a bite ....

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do the locals eat?

Hard to find a real local places in downtown OC...most of those places would be in Ocean Pines or Delaware where the actual locals live. I think a place like Phillips is touristy, but you have tourists going everywhere these days. OC is like a second home to many tourists who travel to OC several times a year.

I would recommend breakfast at General's Kitchen (somewhat touristy, somewhat local) and dinner at Crabcake Factory (not very touristy, and I have heard complaints that locals get better service but I haven't many major issues there as a non-local). CCF also does breakfast, which I've heard is pretty good.

West OC is closer to where you will be coming from, and Harborside is one of the better casual places there. Also, if you haven't already had them, Thrasher's fries on the boardwalk are a must.

Hanover, Pa
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do the locals eat?

The locals eat at the same places the touristy people eat at.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do the locals eat?

Decatur Diner is on Rt 611, (across from Green Turtle), the owners previously owned 707 Bar & Grill (which is now closed, the new owner passed). Breakfast & lunch in the off season, dinner during the season.

Four Seasons on Rt. 50, near the light for Rt 611 (next to the Green Room Beer & Wine), breakfast ($2.99), lunch & dinner.

Mione's in the White Marlin Mall is a long time mainstay, lunch & dinner. 5 Guys in the White Marlin Mall too, burgers & hot dogs, no breakfast.

Papa John's opened recently in the former location of Salvatores, on the corner of Rt 611 & Rt. 50.

Happy's Chinese (carry out) in the shopping center where Food Lion grocery store is located, been there long time:*)) Southside Grill & Deli is located across from Food Lion.

I live in West OC, we hardly eat out, the above places I have had lunch only, with the exception of Happy's.

The few times we do go out for dinner, it is to The Shark (www.ocshark.com), open year round and its on the harbor or Mickey Fins (at the fishing center in West OC), seasonal, both have excellent food, but a little pricey. .

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do the locals eat?

ocpony...Decatur Diner serves an awesome breakfast!

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do the locals eat?

You may also want to check out Berlin, MD. Much more of a local town -- not many tourists, although many do find their way to Berlin for their antique stores.

Here is the list of restaurants / eateries in town. Last time I was there The Globe looked inviting.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g60727-Berlin_Ma…

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do the locals eat?

Correction - not Papa John's, its Pizza Tugo's.

Dude, cause I live here I cook breakfast every morning, this morning scapple and scrambled eggs. Decatur Diner has awesome cheesesteak subs and onion rings.

Mirage, I've had some great lunches at the Atlantic Hotel in Berlin, Fagers runs it now so the food is consistantly good. The Globe has a good cheeseburger, albeit its a little dark in there.

pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
2,840 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do the locals eat?

There are also plenty of fast food places at the OC outlet center like Wendy's, KFC, and Taco Bell. Plus the Francis Scott Key Motel has a great little 50's style diner for burgers and shakes.

Virginia
Level Contributor
189 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do the locals eat?

I'll throw out the Rice House on Rt. 611 (near Southside Grill and Deli) and Osteria Fraschetti on Rt. 50 just past Waterman's Seafood.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do the locals eat?

To piggyback on Osteria Fraschetti (during the week 3 course dinners for $11.95). Next door, Alex Fraschetti also owns J&J's woodfired pizzas, etc., the oven was shipped from Italy.

Ocean City, Maryland
Level Contributor
612 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where do the locals eat?

I live in North OC.........

Jimmy's Kitchen

Crab Bag

High Stakes

JR's ( happy hour )

Mio Fratelos

Mermaid (new place in Williamsville.......out RT 54 ,couple of miles further then Harris Teeters)