We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4wd in February question.

Tampa
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4wd in February question.

Hello.

We'll be driving from BWI (Baltimore) to Deep Creek to stay in a house across the street from the Wisp ski lodge in mid February.

Since we'll be staying there (base of Wisp) and using the major roads (I-68 & US 219) will we be OK without 4wd? Other than some grocery shopping, a bite out, and maybe a side trip to swallow falls we plan on spending all our time skiing and using the lodge.

Thanks for any insight!

8 replies to this topic
Western Maryland
Level Contributor
250 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4wd in February question.

You should be fine unless of course they get a big storm right around your trip. They do a very good job on the roads especially the ones that feed Wisp. Make sure you check out Brenda's Pizzeria while your visiting. They have some of the best New York style pizza I've ever had.

Swallow Falls on the other hand may be dicey. The roads to Swallow Falls are less traveled and not maintained as well. Also, if there is any ice, you don't want to walk the trails there anyway.

Edited: 9:20 am, January 18, 2011
Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4wd in February question.

I have a Toyota Celica and have no problem at all getting around Deep Creek, Oakland, Swallow Falls, Harrington Manor Roads.

They do not use "salt" on roads once you get outside town limits but a grit compound that provides traction. There are some pretty big hills on Harrington Manor Road that can be a little tricky. Just remember to take it easy, gear down and do not hit the brakes hard when stopping.

Garrett County Roads Department does a wonderful job of keeping the roads clear. Short of a MAJOR storm, excess of 2 feet or more, you will not have any problems.

Lat years total snow fall was 268"!! It has been a mild winter for them so far this year. Mom & Dad only have to shovel once a day now....LOL

Tampa
Level Contributor
235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4wd in February question.

Thanks for the replies!

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4wd in February question.

This was helpful to me as well as we were thinking of renting a car just for 4wd. Looks like all we be well. Thanks from FL too!

Frostburg
Level Contributor
55 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4wd in February question.

I completely agree. You should be fine. They do a great job of keeping up with the roads. They are used to having to clear them on a regular basis in the winter.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4wd in February question.

I just returned from my parents in Oakland, Md. They live on Cranesville Road right off Harrington Manor Road.

It has been snowing up there for the past week - 10 days. All of the roads are fine. Some are snow packed but passable. PLEASE make sure you have a good set of all season tires on your vehicle!!

I know some people who came in from the southern States with regular tires (baldly worn) and were stuck at the base of their rental unit. They had to call a friend of ours to help them out.

Laurel, MD
Level Contributor
44 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4wd in February question.

It really is hit or miss at Deep Creek. I've stayed in the town houses across from the lodge and many times there is no problem. Thursday the 19th of January we drove up from Baltimore and hit snow after Cumberland. I-70 was snowcovered, 219 south was pretty bad, but we made it. Some folks in a sports car coupe were stuck on the exit off of 70. By morning it was fine.

Here they don't try to "obliterate the snow" but plow it and throw grit and salt down. The main road, 219, is usually clear within 12 hours unless it is a huge dump. But the side roads remain snow covered.

The roads to the houses / townhouses across from Wisp are well travelled so if there isn't a storm, you should be OK. If you have snow tires, do put them on. If your all-seasons are worn, think about new ones. If you don't have front wheel drive or if you have "low profile" speed tires, you may want to think twice. And pay attention and time your trip according to the weather. I would have never tried the Thursday night snow drive without snow tires, all wheel drive, and a lot of practice in snow driving.

You may not want to venture far (like to the Mountain State Brewery) on snowy roads if you aren't used to it, but you should be able to get to your house. You can then walk across the street to the lifts if you don't want to move your car.

Be safe! We're staying in the townhouses on President's Day Weekend. We may be neighbors. :-)

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4wd in February question.

thanks biketravelor and frodobaggins (love it, my daughter's name is LOTR name :)). We just got a new set of tires in Oct, so we have good tread on our all seasons. We're planning on taking it easy - if its snowy or is icey we'll be pulling over at the next hotel. We'll be coming up last week of February, hoping there's still snow around!

Reply to: 4wd in February question.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about McHenry