We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montpelier Mansion

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
Montpelier Mansion

There is only 1 review on TA, from 2007. Has anybody been lately?

We plan a short visit to Baltimore area & the house is not very far from BWI airport.

Would the tour take more than an hour? We could do it before our return flight - if it's worth it..

pgparks.com/places/…montpelier_visitor.html

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montpelier Mansion

I used to live but a mile from this house, and it is very nice-BUT, with a short trip to Baltimore, do you have a specific interest in seeing this type of site, i.e, Colonial-era/Georgian architecture? It is easy access from the GW Parkway, but I wouldn't categorize it as "close" to the BWI airport, as in, "we are right here-we might as well." Also note it is in the wrong direction from Baltimore.

Take note that traffic can be terrible certain times of day, so depending on when you land, you may not want to be heading towards D.C. Since I no longer live in that neck of the woods, I can't attest to commuter trends nowadays, but others will.

I suggest you check their website for other activities for the time you think you would visit. The grounds are used often for events, festivals, weddings, etc.

near Washington DC
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Montpelier Mansion

Wow. Interesting post.

I live about 5 miles away. I can think of about 10,000 other things I'd rather do within an hour of BWI. But I'm not you.

Non-rush to Laurel is about 20-25 min. But rush hour 6-10 am and 3-7 pm can turn a 45 min round trip into a 90 minute trip!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montpelier Mansion

Thanks both of you for the replies. And yes, my interests are in architecture, historic homes, etc. Just wanted to compare it with other homes...If we go, I'll post a review.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montpelier Mansion

If that is your specific interest, then yes, it is nice.

See if Ellicott City would be of interest to you. Fairly close to Baltimore and fun for walking around, great old buildings, etc.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,380 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montpelier Mansion

Hi, just a quick update. We saw the Mansion from a distance only - it was closed on Saturday. Anyway, we visited the Cryptologic Museum which was a lot of fun; still working on the review. Plan to visit the Montpelier Mansion in the spring...

6. Re: Montpelier Mansion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 21, 2011