We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bike ride across MD - the short way

Riverview, FL
Level Contributor
6 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
bike ride across MD - the short way

I would like to ride from WV, thru MD, into PA at a very narrow point. No particular reason, it just sounds good.

Is anyone aware of a bicycle safe route to make this trip? It appears that it is only a few miles at Hancock but I do not see anything that looks like bicycle lanes or path.

10 miles each way preferred.

6 replies to this topic
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bike ride across MD - the short way

The best way to do this will take 2 days and non-skinny tires. Start at Harper's Ferry WV, cross the safe pedestrian walkway on the railroad bridge to the MD side, head upriver on the C&O canal, take that to the end at Cumberland MD and pick up the Great Allegheny Passage into the Pittsburgh suburbs. You can return with the bike by train.

I'm afraid that's more than 20 miles, though.

Edited: 4:50 pm, July 09, 2014
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bike ride across MD - the short way

Come think of it, if you just start in Frostburg WV or Wiley Ford WV instead of Harper's Ferry, the Great Allegheny Passage is exactly what you're seeking.

Edited: 4:57 pm, July 09, 2014
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bike ride across MD - the short way

I edited to add Frostburg, but shouldn't have.

not Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bike ride across MD - the short way

Click on this link; http://www.atatrail.org/tmi/maps.cfm which is the map page for the Great Allegheny Passage. Check map number 1 as that is probably the area you would be most interested in.

not Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bike ride across MD - the short way

Not knowing where you are coming from I would suggest that you start at Meyersdale, Pa. and bike from there to Cumberland, Md which is 32 miles. At Frostburg, Md. you will be paralleling the Western Md. Scenic Railroad tracks which run all the way to Cumberland. Just as you approach the Western Md. Railroad Station you will cross Baltimore St., just turn right there and then turn left again at the first intersection, which is Greene St. At the next intersection take another left, cross the Blue Bridge and viola you are now in Ridgeley, West Virginia.

I hope that doesn't sound too involved because it's actually very easy.

not Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
389 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bike ride across MD - the short way

After I posted last night I got to thinking about your criteria and I think I can get your 3 state trip into the 10 mile range that you are looking for. The only requirement not met would be that you would be on roads and not bike paths.

That having been said, go to Mapquest or Google Maps and get directions from Wellersburg, Pa to Ridgeley, W. Va. The total distance is 10.10 miles.

Many bikers take that route but I want you to understand ahead of time that the road from Wellersbug to Md Rt. 36 is a well traveled, read trucks, 2 lane road. No shoulder to speak of. Md. Rt. 36, on the other hand is very bike friendly with wide shoulders.

If you have any questions ask away here or PM me. I will be glad to assist in any way I can.

Reply to: bike ride across MD - the short way
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hagerstown