We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chesapeake Bay area or Chincoteague Island

Which Easton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Chesapeake Bay area or Chincoteague Island

We are trying to decide if we should spend a couple of days in the Chesapeake Bay area or Chincoteague Island at the end of May. We are active and love to bike. It seems like there might be more country road type biking in the Bay area than the Chincoteague Island.

Do any of you have any suggestions or preferences of locations?

4 replies to this topic
Eastern Shore...
Level Contributor
73 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chesapeake Bay area or Chincoteague Island

Refudge Inn is one of my favorites on Chincoteague Island. They have free breakfast, great rates, bike rentals, and its very close to Assateague Island entrance to the state parks. I really enjoyed our last stay there!

Frederick, Maryland
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chesapeake Bay area or Chincoteague Island

Chincoteague is a rather "cute" fishing village. I would say that is one of the better towns. Tilghman Island/ St Micheal's is also a neat town to visit. Easton, Cambridge, and Salisbury aren't really worth a visit (my opinion). If you wanted to drive rather north, Chestertown, MD is also pretty cool. Expect flat and windy rides while on the Eastern Shore. There is some great landscapes.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
868 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chesapeake Bay area or Chincoteague Island

Personally, for a getaway, I like Chincoteague better. It's much smaller and much cheaper and, other than one week a year, it's a pretty sleepy vacation spot. There is some nice biking on the Assateague National Seashore and ya might see some ponies as well. There's also an awesome BBQ spot near the end of town on your way to the beach. Can't remember the name but great NC style BBQ.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
379 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chesapeake Bay area or Chincoteague Island

If you like viewing wildlife, I recommend Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Cambridge. On last visit, saw eagles, snow geese, white pelicans, and herons. Great viewing from wildlife drive and helpful folks at the visitor center.

Reply to: Chesapeake Bay area or Chincoteague Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted