We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation on Chesapeake Bay

Salt Lake City...
Level Contributor
101 posts
122 reviews
30 helpful votes
Family Vacation on Chesapeake Bay

We have never been to Chesapeake Bay. Will have 12 people in our party and looking for a place to be able to access beaches and do some bird watching. Not sure where the best place to go would be. I know the Bay is large and want some advice on where a family might go. Please share your experiences.

5 replies to this topic
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
1. Re: Family Vacation on Chesapeake Bay

I think with a party that large you would be best renting a house. The part of Maryland east of the Bay, known as the Eastern Shore of MD is more rural. This is where I have lived my whole life. West of the Bay is more urban but there are still a few rural areas. I'll focus on the Eastern Shore.

Bird watching could be done at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Dorchester County south of Cambridge, The Chesapeake Bay Environmental Center in Grasonville in Queen Anne's County, or you could arrange for a tour of the Poplar Island restoration project near Tilghman Island, Talbot County, which has become a nesting spot for birds. There is an Issac Walton League park near Trappe, Talbot County, the Pickering Creek Audubon Center, north of Easton, Talbot County The birds you would see would be Bald Eagles, Osprey, egrets, herons, song birds if you are coming in the summer. Right now the migratory waterfowl are here but they will leave in March and return in the Fall.

Beaches is a little tough. Sandy Point State Park has a nice beach on the west side of the Bay near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. The Shores of the Bay are not usually beaches but mud that is covered by water and maybe exposed at low tide. Most people go to the Atlantic Ocean for the beach. There is a very small strip of sand in Oxford, Talbot County, near the ferry dock. The area is known as The Strand.

Here is a link to the Talbot County Bird Club that might help

www.mdbirds.org/about/chapters/talbot.html

Salt Lake City...
Level Contributor
101 posts
122 reviews
30 helpful votes
2. Re: Family Vacation on Chesapeake Bay

Thanks for all the info. How far is it to the ocean from Cambridge.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
3. Re: Family Vacation on Chesapeake Bay

Cambridge to Ocean City is about 1 hour and 15 minutes on RT 50.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
4. Re: Family Vacation on Chesapeake Bay

The key to bird watching in Ocean City is to buy a bucket of french fries. They attract gulls like a magnet.If you go to the ocean you could take a trip to Assateague Island Seashore too.

Annapolis
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
883 posts
12 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Family Vacation on Chesapeake Bay

The Hyatt at Cambridge has a beautiful beach area, along with pools, boats, paddleboards, golf, restaurants, etc., and relatively close to Blackwater. You should know that by July in most years, the bay has enough sea nettles to make swimming unpleasant. I would opt for an Ocean beach if you're coming in the summer

Reply to: Family Vacation on Chesapeake Bay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted