We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are there no hotels in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
222 posts
95 reviews
92 helpful votes
Why are there no hotels in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland?

Just visited Chesapeake Beach, Maryland and was surprised that the only hotel was the Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa. Why aren't there any other accommodations and why are so many people moving?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
66,088 posts
48 reviews
109 helpful votes
1. Re: Why are there no hotels in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland?

It's not a big tourist draw, and certainly not a big draw for business people, so why would you expect a lot of hotels there?

It's a quiet little place on the bay, most people who visit just stop by for a couple of hours or a day trip from Washington or Baltimore.

Not sure what you mean about "people moving".

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
222 posts
95 reviews
92 helpful votes
2. Re: Why are there no hotels in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland?

I noticed that there were many places for sale especially in North Beach.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
21 reviews
141 helpful votes
3. Re: Why are there no hotels in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland?

There have been plans in the works to build a resort type hotel in North Beach where the public parking lot is across from the boardwalk. I believe the delay has been due to non-agreement by the town council and the builder on how high the building is to be. A large number of NB residents complained that it would ruin their view of the bay. With that said - CB attempts to be a resort town and even though it really isn't, I think another hotel could be supported. The CB Resort & Spa is filled every weekend and rooms are hard to come by. There are quite a few rental cottages (www.vrbo.com) that people prefer to a hotel type place since many come for a week at a time. I would drive a couple miles up the bay into Friendship, MD and stay at the Harrington Harbor Inn if I were coming for a long weekend.

If you drove past my house (in CB) its for rent not sale but that's because the Army is moving me out of the country. I hope to return when I retire though since you can't beat the lack of crime, quaility of public schools and all the other things that make CB special to me and my family. I don't think there are any more houses being sold right now than at other times only that houses aren't selling so it seems like more. If you haven't seen the news lately the whole country is in a housing crisis due to our economy and many are being sold in order to avoid foreclosure. Just like everywhere else. Take a drive through your own neighborhood and I bet you'd be astonished by how many are for sale. New houses aren't being built and old houses aren't selling. Wait until we hit $6.00 a gallon for gas. The commuter bus from NB to DC won't have enough seats.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
222 posts
95 reviews
92 helpful votes
4. Re: Why are there no hotels in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland?

Thanks so much Borracho for the details on the area.

I am aware that the country is in a real estate down turn but when I see beautiful beach front condos for sale, it makes me why anyone would want to sell in such a beautiful place.

You also gave me some interesting information because I didn't know there was a commuter bus from DC to NB.

Wish I could rent your home but my hubby doesn't like serenity he likes a stressful lifestyle. Yup he's crazy but he's alright. :)

Good luck to you and thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
66,088 posts
48 reviews
109 helpful votes
5. Re: Why are there no hotels in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland?

"I am aware that the country is in a real estate down turn but when I see beautiful beach front condos for sale, it makes me why anyone would want to sell in such a beautiful place."

Possibly because they were purchased by investors looking to make a quick flip on the condo. With the downturn in the market that isn't going to happen so they have to unload them.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
21 reviews
141 helpful votes
6. Re: Why are there no hotels in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland?

Some of the condos over there in North Beach have never been purchased. At least not in the 3 years we've been here. The views are great but I don't know that the over 450K price tag is worth it - even with the view. On my street alone (very small) there are two for sale and mine for rent and we don't have a water view although very close. The main problem in this area is that banks kept giving people credit based on an assumed equity when the market was out of control. People took advantage of that credit and now find themselves in a hole that they can't get out of and selling now (summer time is normally high turnover) seemed like the best way to fix their problems but it has instead flooded the market with houses driving the prices down to record lows for this area. That's why we're renting and not selling.

woodbridge, va
1 post
2 reviews
7. Re: Why are there no hotels in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland?

Thanks Borracho for the great explanation why some of the properties are still not sellling...makes sense....speculators buying homes on the assumption of turning them over and making a tidy profit...many have but many are stuck with properties including individuals...the saying still holds true " if it's too good to be true." this real estate golden goose lasted quite long and seemed it would never end but it did...

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
7 reviews
7 helpful votes
8. Re: Why are there no hotels in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland?

Only 3 miles north of Chesapeake Beach, built on a bend in the shoreline, is the Herrington Harbour resort (also called Rose Haven). It has old-fashioned motel units painted in tropical pastel colors (some larger units have screened porches), a festive restaurant/bar, beautiful landscaped gardens, and a gigantic olympic-sized pool. Herrington Harbour Marina was once named the best Marina in America, by a national boating magazine.

Although only 3 miles away, somehow people don't associate Herrington Harbour with Chesapeake Beach (it's across the county line, for one thing).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
222 posts
95 reviews
92 helpful votes
9. Re: Why are there no hotels in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland?

I'll have to check that out. Thank you.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
21 reviews
141 helpful votes
10. Re: Why are there no hotels in Chesapeake Beach, Maryland?

This is the last sentence of the first paragraph of my initial post on this subject:

"I would drive a couple miles up the bay into Friendship, MD and stay at the Herrington Harbor Inn if I were coming for a long weekend."

So to concur with the recent comment. Herrington Harbor - Home of "Mangos" is a great find on the Western Shore of the Bay and my family and I spent many a days by the pool and stayed in the "Inn" before we moved to Brazil. It is well worth the drive and beats the heck out of Chesapeake Beach, where I own a home.