We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much would a taxi cost from Bethesda to Smithsonian?

Which Bethesda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, ON Canada
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How much would a taxi cost from Bethesda to Smithsonian?

Hi, can anyone tell me approximately how much it would cost to take a taxi from Bethesda (Residence Inn on Wisconsin) to the Smithsonian Natural History museum in DC? My husband will be taking our kids there by himself while I'm in meetings, and doesn't want to deal with the hassle of navigating the Metro. Thanks!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much would a taxi cost from Bethesda to Smithsonian?

Metro is the better option but just call the hotel or cab co. Either could answer your question.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much would a taxi cost from Bethesda to Smithsonian?

The basic rate is a $4 drop charge + $2/mile + $1/additional passenger.

Assuming a nine-mile trip, two kids and throwing in a little bit of additional waiting charge for slow traffic plus a tip, you're looking at about $30.

A return trip via taxi should be a little over $20. The difference lies is the rate schedules for trips originating in Montgomery County, Md. and those originating in DC.

www.barwoodtaxi.com/meterRates_2009.htm

dctaxi.dc.gov/dctaxi/frames.asp…

Metro fares are variable and will be anywhere from $2.15-$3.60 each way per passenger, depending on when you go and how you pay. Kids 4 and under ride free.

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much would a taxi cost from Bethesda to Smithsonian?

I understand the hassle of the metro, especially since you'd need a transfer to get to the Smithsonian metro station. But if your husband is familiar with mass transit at all, it would be a pretty easy trip to make since Bethesda has its own metro stop. And he wouldn't even need a transfer if he was OK walking a few blocks from Metro Center to the mall.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much would a taxi cost from Bethesda to Smithsonian?

Every time I drive downtown rather than do my usual Metro commute from Bethesda, I regret it. Metro really is the better option; faster than surface transit and certainly passably clean and safe. Kids like it. Head into the Bethesda metro station any weekday after about 9:30 a.m. or on a weekend, and it won't be terribly crowded and a noticeable fraction of the passangers will be tourists/families headed to the museums/Zoo. If you're bringing young kids & stroller, use the elevator a little south of the Hyatt; otherwise, stairs/escalator just north of the Hyatt. There's a nice pedestrian tunnel across Wisconsin Ave. right near there too.

5. Re: How much would a taxi cost from Bethesda to Smithsonian?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 29, 2013