We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vanpools in Bethesda

Bethesda, Maryland
4 posts
Save Topic
Vanpools in Bethesda

Hi,

I would like to know about Van pools in Bethesda.

My work area is in Owings Mills and I have moved to Bethesda recently. I want to know are there any van pools to Owings Mills directly from Bethesda?

Or, atleast a van pool to Greenbelt or Baltimore will do the needful...

I have done enough ground work on MARC/Lightrail/Metro.

And if I have to go thru all this, I have to travel to Union Station, take a MARC there to Baltimore and from there a light rail to Lexington Market.. And from Lexington Market to Owings Mills.. which is tiresome and takes 2 hours or 2.5 hours.

And I want to atleast reduce the journey with the help of Van pools.

Any suggestions on this is welcome...

Mentioned in this post
Bethesda
Bethesda
Montgomery County, MD
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Union Station
Union Station
1,984 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Lexington Market
Lexington Market
329 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vanpools in Bethesda

This is really a shot in the dark trying to find a speciic vanpool for an uncommon, long commute here. I suspect more commuters are going from Owings Mills to Bethesda for work than the other way around. Bethesda to downtown Baltimore is a more realistic goal, and from there you'd Metro out to Owings Mills.

The biggest problem I see with not getting a vanpool directly to your work location is that most vanpools operate on an ~8.5 hour day, e.g. they might drop you off at 8:30 and pick you up at 5. If this happens in downtown Baltimore and it then takes you the better part of an hour to get to and from Owings Mills, you might be able to only put in a 6.5 hour day in the office before it's time to head home. Is this something that would work for you? Then you have the added pressure of relying on mass transit to get you back to the van in time while the other riders are typically walking from their offices to the pickup location. Show up late through no fault of your own and you're left with either annoyed co-riders or no ride at all.

Have you checked with the HR office at your job to see if they can identify any employees who live somewhere in the Washington area? There probably isn't a vanpool, but you may be able to join up with another solo traveler for a carpool--if not in Bethesda, maybe somewhere like Silver Spring or Rockville or coming around the Beltway from northern Virginia.

You may also want to consider posting to the rideshare board on Craigslist. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/rid/

Best of luck...

Edited: 8:29 pm, April 25, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Bethesda
Bethesda
Montgomery County, MD
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Silver Spring
Silver Spring
Montgomery County, MD
Rockville
Rockville
Montgomery County, MD
2. Re: Vanpools in Bethesda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, October 23, 2010