We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks but no thanks

1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks but no thanks

York Beach area used to be my go to vacation destination. Not any more. It's soooo crowded there now that you wait and wait and wait for everything, traffic, restaurants, parking, etc. Also the cops there are so over zealous with ticketing you can't park anywhere without having to fork over a few bucks. If your meter expires for a millisecond you get a ticket. Much nicer places to go in Maine than York.

3 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks but no thanks

That's too bad but good to know. I am planning a Maine family vacation and looking at York Beach. Any other suggestions for a beach and a view? I don't know the area. I looked at Bar Harbor and it seemed pricey and booked solid.

Norway, Maine
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks but no thanks

Very unfriendly parking. Got a $50.00 ticket for a brief dip in the ocean. Feeling very scammed. Western Maine lakes, the place to go.

Rockville, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
993 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks but no thanks

IMO that is going to pretty much be the experience during the summer along most of the communities along the coast. I don't think it's much different than what you would experience on Cape Cod or the beaches of Long Island, NH or NJ. Beach towns fill up during the summer. York Harbor and York Beach are lovely and much more doable in the off season or if you are staying local and can walk to the beaches, restaurants etc and not have to drive. Bar Harbor area is beautiful and is much more spread out than the southern beaches so traffic is not as congested. Lots of places to stay on Mount Desert Island other than right in Bar Harbor.

Reply to: Thanks but no thanks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about York Beach