We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When will lupines be blooming on the Schoodic Peninsula?

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
When will lupines be blooming on the Schoodic Peninsula?

I'm trying to plan a short getaway to the Schoodic Peninsula in June and I would absolutely love for it to coincide with the peak bloom of lupines if I can make it work. Anyone want to venture a guess as to when the lupines might be in peak bloom in that area?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When will lupines be blooming on the Schoodic Peninsula?

I don't know how much climatic difference there is between Schoodic and MDI but right now, we are seeing the first developing flower spikes on lupines here. The spikes are still small and green (and mostly we see them only in areas with a lot of sun exposure), so I suspect it will be a couple of weeks at least before we begin to see blooms. As for the peak---maybe the second or third week of June?????

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When will lupines be blooming on the Schoodic Peninsula?

One cool thing about all these digital cameras is if you set the clock on your camera and it will record the date of the capture. I have a shot from last summer in Bucksport of a lupine and it's dated June 17th, but I was thinking that things might be pushed forward a bit this year because of that really warm week we had a few weeks back. I was hoping that might gives us lupines a week or so early, as I'm probably going to visit that area between June 8 and June 15th.

Fingers crossed. :)

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When will lupines be blooming on the Schoodic Peninsula?

That might be. It seems that this year is about a week advanced over last here on MDI. Of course, a few days of cold, rainy weather (or a walloping nor'easter) could cancel that out.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When will lupines be blooming on the Schoodic Peninsula?

We're starting to see our first blooms here this week.

What's going on up MDI way?

My trip is set for June 8-15 and I've got my fingers crossed that the lupines will be right on the Schoodic Peninsula.

Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: When will lupines be blooming on the Schoodic Peninsula?

Hi, Michele. My lupines in Bass Harbor have 'spiked'. They should be in full bloom in two weeks - around Father's Day which sounds good for your trip. I would suspect that our weather here is more like Schoodic (ie, cooler and more windy). Our gardening season is generally two weeks behind Southwest and three behind Bar Harbor - as a reference, the forsythia is fading and the lilacs are ready to pop. Sounds like a great trip. Please let us know about peak in Schoodic - the differences in blooming time are interesting.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When will lupines be blooming on the Schoodic Peninsula?

Thanks! Our lilacs here (in Brunswick) have been full bloom for about a week. I cut some to bring inside and my house smells heavenly. Ahhhh, summer in Maine. :)

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When will lupines be blooming on the Schoodic Peninsula?

We are seeing some lupines coloring up in and around Bar Harbor---still very spotty and the ones that have developed are on sunny, south-facing areas.

8. Re: When will lupines be blooming on the Schoodic Peninsula?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, September 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Winter Harbor