We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving

Glen Mills
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving

Anyone know how to get from Wilm. Delaware, to Maine without going through NY traffic

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
5 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
938 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving

If you do not want to take I-95 through NYC & cross GW bridge, you could take the much longer route by using the I-287 to avoid NYC traffic & catch I-95 near Port Chester,NY.

Mentioned in this post
Glen Mills
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving

Thank's, I will map it out.....

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving

You don't need to take a particularly out of the way route to avoid NYC traffic and the George Washington Bridge (which I'd agree it's best to avoid if possible.)

You'll be coming north on the NJ Turnpike, I assume. Get off in Woodbridge and follow the northbound Garden State Parkway into NY State. It will end at I-287, and take that east across the Tappan Zee Bridge.

From then on I'd avoid I-95 altogether and this is also easy to do. Take I-287 east to the Hutchinson Rvier Parkway. Take the Hutchinson River Parkway north into Connecticut, where it will become Connecticut 15 (the Merritt and Wilbur Cross Parkways). Take these to the merge with I-91 and then follow that up to Hartford.

The Hutchinson/Merritt/Wilbur Cross route will have no trucks, will avoid the congested I-95, and is a much prettier route.

One note (from experience.) Watch the signs when you exit I-287 for the Hutchinson River Parkway north. You'll actually exit onto a service road and then need to move over to the right for a cloverleaf onto the northbound Hutch. It's well marked but it's also possible to miss it it you're not paying attention at that point.

Edited: 9:55 pm, May 14, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Connecticut
Connecticut
United States
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving

I should have added that you will rejoin I-95 in Massachusetts, just below the New Hampshire state line.

The best route from Hartord is I-84 east to the Mass Pike (I-90) to I-495. This will take you to I-95 just before you cross into New Hampshire.

If you have an EZ pass it will be particularly worthwhile on this trip since there are lots of toll plazas in New Jersey, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine, and your local EZ pass will be accepted at all of them.

Mentioned in this post
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Belleville, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving

try the NJ Turnpike (toll road) to GWB ($9.00)

Reply to: Driving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wells