We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Waterboro-Lake Ossipee July 2011

smithtown
3 posts
Save Topic
visiting Waterboro-Lake Ossipee July 2011

HI. We will be visiting this area and have already rented a sweet house here.There are 4 adults and one teenager(13yrs old). We have been in Maine before and love it!. Not sure if this is near our vacation home so please steer me in the right direction! We all love horsebackriding,water-sports.museums,shopping pretty much we're up for anything. Only problem? we dont know much about this area. SO please send me some information about what -to-do here thanks so much! OH we'll be here in July.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
6 replies to this topic
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Waterboro-Lake Ossipee July 2011

Is your rental home on the water? Does it include a boat or kayak? If so, your water sports are pretty well lined up. You are also near the Saco River, with various places to put in. You could put a vehicle where you'll come out and then go to where you'll put in.

I would recommend ordering a DeLorme Maine Atlas and Gazetteer. That would allow you to "explore" the area before you come.

…delorme.com/OA_HTML/…

You're about a half hour from the Maine Mall or downtown Portland for shopping. Do you want historic museums or art? There is a museum in Saco and one in Kennebunk based around local history. There is the Portland Museum of Art.

Mentioned in this post
Saco River
Saco River
17 Reviews
Maine
Maine
Maine
United States
Maine Mall
Maine Mall
87 Reviews
South Portland, ME
Saco
Saco
Maine
Kennebunk
Kennebunk
Kennebunks, ME
Portland Museum of Art
Portland Museum of Art
1,301 Reviews
Portland, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,052 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Waterboro-Lake Ossipee July 2011

In Maine terms, you're going to be "right around the corner" from the "18th Century Willowbrook Village" in Newfield, ME.....an interesting look at life in the 1800's in a setting that includes multiple structures set in a "village" re-creation. Check their website at: http://www.willowbrookmuseum.org/

Depending on group interests, you're also an easy day-trip from the Maine Wildlife Park in Gray, ME -- about twenty minutes north of Portland. Lots and lots of exhibits of animals native to the State of Maine in re-creations of their natural settings.... we're talking everything from moose, deer and bear, to groundhogs, raccoons and squirrels, to birds and fish. The Park is closed this time of year, but if you scroll down on their website at :

www.maine.gov/ifw/education/wildlifepark/ you'll find photos and video links that will give you a better idea of what's there.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Maine Wildlife Park
Maine Wildlife Park
295 Reviews
Gray, ME
smithtown
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Waterboro-Lake Ossipee July 2011

Oh thank you CB48! I got a very good fell about this area. Yes we are near the water,its a lake (ossippee) and we have access to this lake. Now what about horsebackriding ,my passion??? Thanks again Grace Maine lover (our 2nd trip).

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
smithtown
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Waterboro-Lake Ossipee July 2011

Thank for your input. Im loving Maine very much. From NY, L.I., so Maine is just the vacation we need to cool our brains!!! Much needed! We love history and museums so sounds awesome. Thanks. Grace, Maine Fan!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Waterboro-Lake Ossipee July 2011

I'm a little stuck on the horseback riding. There are trails nearby in Hollis, but I'm guessing that you're not bringing your horse with you. :-) There is also a therapeutic horseback riding center in Lyman, but that's not what you're looking for. Hopefully someone else on this forum is as into horses as you are and can help you out!

Maine
Level Contributor
34 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting Waterboro-Lake Ossipee July 2011

I used to live up in that area and you are about 20 minutes from everything you want to do. You can head to Portland for the Old Port shopping, or South Portland for the mall. Twenty minutes south and you'll be in Kennebunkport for similar shopping as the Old Port and great restaurants.

You can also head to Saco and spend some time at Funtown amusement park, which your 13yr old would love. They have a water park too but since you're already on the lake, you might want to save your money.

If you need to pick up supplies, there's a WalMart and a Target in Biddeford, which is a bit closer than Portland.

As for the horseback riding, try contacting Spring Creek Farm in Lyman. I'm not sure if they offer rides, but they probably can point you in the right direction. 207-468-4035

I'd also suggest a dinner at 199 Sokokis, a cute place to get an upscale (for the area) meal. Or right near there is the 50's style diner. Not great food, but a fun experience. And Lakeside Market, a gas station/variety store (that combination exists everywhere here in Maine!) has an excellent take-out menu.

Have a great time! I spent most of my summers on Ossipee and those are some of my fondest memories!!

Mentioned in this post
Old Port
Old Port
1,015 Reviews
Portland, ME
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
Saco
Saco
Maine
Maine