We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good tubing in Saco river with in 10 miles of Saco

1 post
Save Topic
good tubing in Saco river with in 10 miles of Saco

Me and some buddies will be parking at a local Saco RV park 7/19-22. I would REALLY like to go swimming, preferably tubing, in some moving water. My Google Maps "Tubing, Saco River" search yeilds only Tubing companies up by the southern edge of the White Mountain National Forest. Any reccomended spots to enter the Saco river within 10 mi os Saco?

Mentioned in this post
Saco
Saco
Maine
Saco River
Saco River
19 Reviews
Maine
3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
6,199 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good tubing in Saco river with in 10 miles of Saco

You'd have to go all the way up to Swans Falls/ Fryeburg which is about an hour drive.

No tubing near Saco, plus the river is too dirty thanks to the idiots partying and trashing the river further north.

Mentioned in this post
Saco
Saco
Maine
Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good tubing in Saco river with in 10 miles of Saco

Are you looking for white water or just floating?

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good tubing in Saco river with in 10 miles of Saco

This article sums up some options on the southern end of the Saco in the Buxton/Hollis/Dayton area. I am really unclear about Tom's comments r.e. the river being dirty, as I have kayaked both above and below the dam and the river itself has been nice. (Whereas we only do the Fryeburg areas early in the season due to the mess left behind.) The area right below the dam can now only be accessed by walking in, due to idiots abusing the land share privileges, but again - the water is not dirty and you will have a good chance of spotting quite a variety of birds, including eagles. You can ride all the way to Rotary Park in Biddeford.

https:/…

In Biddeford, you can put in at Marblehead boat launch and ride down to Camp Ellis. For both of these options, you would need a vehicle at each end.

If you just want to play around, you can access the river from the bridge that crosses Route 5 on the Biddeford line, but the abutting land is for sale and I am not sure if you can still park there.

Keep in mind that I do all of this with a kayak, but there is current on both lower portions mentioned above.

Mentioned in this post
Saco
Saco
Maine
Reply to: good tubing in Saco river with in 10 miles of Saco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saco